Communities Building Youth Futures (CBYF) is a five-year pan-Canadian project to work with up to 13 communities to develop system-wide solutions for supporting youth as they build and act upon plans for their future. Working in partnership with the Government of Canada, through the Goal Getters program, Tamarack Institute is committed to improving outcomes for youth who face barriers as they pursue their education and transition to employment and understands that this work requires collaborative, community-championed solutions with youth leadership and youth engagement.
Features of the Learning Agenda
- Building Youth Futures is a critical step in Ending Poverty in Canada – Investing in and supporting young people through their education to employment journey includes building youth resiliency, youth voice, and youth leadership. Creating communities which meaningfully engage young people is essential to ending poverty in Canada. The May 6th plenary will be held jointly with Tamarack's Cities Reducing Poverty practice area
- Renowned Keynote Speakers – featuring Melody Barnes, who worked directly with President Barack Obama, who will share her expertise with an emphasis on Ending Youth Poverty and Building Youth Futures
- Creating Space for Youth as Change Makers – Change is already happening. Across Canada, 13 communities are focused on amplifying youth voices. These youth have something to say and through youth-focused CBYF workshops they will share their progress, lessons learned and advice
- Community-Developed Projects that Build Pathways to Education & Employment – Innovation is at the forefront of Communities Building Youth Futures. Communities will be showcasing emergent and innovative practices developed through their work.
- Learning that is Emerging through the Work of Supporting Youth – highlighting the work and stories of communities, youth and partners as they build youth resilience and engagement, community mobilization, social innovation, bridging the digital divide, and collective impact
- Daily Small Group Discussions creating space for networking, discussion, brainstorming and troubleshooting amongst event registrants
- Inspiring Workshops building foundations and allowing learners to dive deeper into the latest thinking and practice around youth engagement, collaborative leadership, community engagement:
- Collaborative Leadership for Systems Change
- Evaluation – how developing our meaning of evaluation can increase the benefits
- Developing Meaningful Youth Engagement
- Engagement in a Virtual World
- and more …