PARTNER NAME : UNIARTE (Union de Artisanos de la Tierra)
LOCATION: Santa Cruz, Bolivia
LENGTH OF PLACEMENT: 6 months
FUNDING ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS : Must be Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident
LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS: Spanish Level 3-4
ABOUT CUSO INTERNATIONAL
Cuso International is a non-profit development organization that works through volunteers. Each year, we send hundreds of global citizens to work on collaborative development projects in more than 20 countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Caribbean. We are one of North America’s leading international development organizations that works through volunteers.
ABOUT THE PARTNER ORGANIZATION
The association called the Union of Artisans of the Earth with the acronym UNIARTE is a representative body of indigenous artisans of Santa Cruz department. UNIARTE is made up of 60 young artisans from two indigenous peoples: the Chiquitanos of Lomerío and the Guarayos of Urubichá and Los Tajibos. UNIARTE helps artisans to develop their artistic abilities, while preserving their ancestral cultural expression and traditional techniques. Since its founding, the association has had the objective of conserving and defending the cultural identity as indigenous peoples Chiquitanos and Guarayos, provide an alternative source of income to young indigenous people who can then afford training in the institutes and universities in our city.
THE VOLUNTEER’S ROLE
Overall placement purpose and specific volunteer placement objectives: UNIARTE’s artisans face the competition challenges of a globalized market that is saturated with substitution products or imitations of their handicraft products. As a consequence, artisans must obtain additional funds to drive strategies to become more competitive. In collaboration with the marketing, management and technical support staff, the volunteer will be in charge of supporting UNIARTE in the development and implementation of new intervention strategies with the financing bodies (ONG’s, public institutions, etc.)
- Identifying eligibility for aid-grants or public financing
- Establishing relationships with private investors (business angels, investment funds)
- Supporting negotiations with funding bodies
- Identifying strategic partnerships and alliances
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- University degree in Economics or a related field, with knowledge of marketing and entrepreneurship
- Expert in project design and fund-raising
- Experience in partnership development and establishment of strategic alliances
TRAINING AND FINANCIAL SUPPORT
Our training and support package covers the costs of being an overseas volunteer, allowing you to enjoy a
modest but healthy lifestyle while you volunteer abroad. This includes:
- Attendance at a Cuso International assessment day (candidates must cover the first $150 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation costs associated with pre-departure training.
- Return airfare and visa/permit (this includes a return flight in the case of a family emergency).
- Coverage for required vaccinations, medications and comprehensive health insurance.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- A modest living allowance, which varies depending on the country where you are placed
- Quarterly payments to support you in your placement
- Modest support for accompanying partners
Please apply online, quoting referral code LAC0210-0004-0001 and the name of the placement
15 Sep 2012
CUSO International Inc.
Santa Cruz - Bolivia --Canada