Global College Internships
International Youth Associates Programme
CIDA-IYIP Internship in Tanzania
Deadline: Midnight of June 5th, 2013 (CDT)
An additional candidate will be selected to fill the available internship in Tanzania.
Due to the involuntary cancellation by one of the selected interns for the Internship in Tanzania, Global College along with its partner ILO has decided to re-open the Call for Applications for this opportunity.
Please note that given the urgency in selecting a candidate for the Six months placement in Tanzania starting in July, this advertisement will be running until midnight (CDT) of June 5th, 2013.
All eligible applicants are welcome.
Global College is pleased to invite applications for the 2013 –- 2014 associate placement in Tanzania. So far, four (4) applicants have been selected as Global College Associates to work in offices of the International Labour Organization’'s (ILO) Youth Employment Network (YEN). An additional candidate will be selected to fill the available internship in Tanzania . The program is directed at recent Canadian university graduates, and expenses for the associates program are supported by a contribution from the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA).
Over the course of this decade the world will witness an unprecedented youth bulge with over 1 billion young people entering global labour markets. Recent economic conditions indicate that the supply of jobs is shrinking, while many young people do not have the skills and experience needed to attain what jobs are available. Governments and partners in the UN system recognized the urgency of this challenge by setting up YEN in 2001. Our associates program brings together YEN and the University of Winnipeg Global College to assist partner countries to respond effectively to the youth unemployment challenge through assigning interns as “"YEN Associates"” to key national institutions
While the long term objective of the Global College/YEN associate programme is to increase the participation of young Canadians working in international development, the immediate objective is to provide youth employment institutions with a skilled labour force to assist them in delivering their work plans. For the past two years our YEN Associates have successfully worked with these institutions developing and implementing policy and programme to promote youth employment.
In order to be eligible for this program you must be:
1. Between 19 and 30 years of age at the time of signature of agreement with the Global College;
2. A Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident legally entitled to work in Canada;
3. A post-secondary graduate; that is, graduate of a degree or diploma program in a university, college, post-secondary school of technology, post-secondary institute or a CÉGEP (Collège d’enseignement général et professionnel, Québec);
4. Unemployed or underemployed (underemployment can be interpreted as: individuals working in their field of study but only on a part-time basis; individuals working on a full or part-time basis in an area not related to their field of study);
5. Out of school (with no courses, co-op terms or thesis left to complete to satisfy current degree requirements; interns cannot use the internship as a credit to graduate);
6. Ready to begin your professional career;
7. Have not participated in an internship within the Career Focus stream of the Government of Canada’s Youth Employment Strategy (YES).
Please review the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for Interns for additional information on eligibility.
The following criteria will be used in assessing the applications we receive:
- Degree in a related field
- Work experience in international development or cooperation
- Experience working or living abroad
- Gender sensitivity
- Cultural sensitivity
- Leadership initiative and work ethic
If you meet all of the eligibility requirements, you are invited to apply as follows:
- Review the Eligibility Requirements (above) and carefully read over the Position Description (below) of the position(s) for which you are applying. If you are applying for multiple positions please indicate them in your online application and letter of application - Do not submit more than one application.
- Fill the online Application Form:
- Submit a Letter of Application (professional cover letter) and your CV/Resumé to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating "IYIP Application" in the subject line.
NB: Your application will not be considered complete until your online application, letter of application, and CV/Resumé have all been received prior to the application deadline.
General Position Description
The following general description applies to all positions:
· Assist Lead Country partners with ongoing activities to meet their objectives and timeline regarding development of National Action Plan for Youth Employment
· Assist in developing guidelines for the Governments mainstreaming strategy on youth employment
· Assist ILO to support IYEN to develop provincial action on youth employment
· Assist the development of IYEN's knowledge platform
· Assist in developing social marketing for resource mobilization
· Assist in organizing capacity building gender and cultural sensitive events for IYEN members
· Assist National Programme Coordinator with any other tasks