Marketing and Production Advisor (Horticulture), Nicaragua
PARTNER NAME :
Instituto de Promoción Humana – Somoto (INPRHU)
Somoto, Madriz, Nicaragua
LENGTH OF PLACEMENT:
funding eligibility requirements :
Must be Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident
Spanish Level 3, ideally 4
To self-assess your level please click here
ABOUT CUSO INTERNATIONAL
Cuso International is a non-profit development organization that works through volunteers. Each year, we send hundreds of global citizens to work on collaborative development projects in more than 20 countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Caribbean. We are one of North America’s leading international development organizations that works through volunteers.
ABOUT THE PARTNER ORGANIZATION
INPRHU’s mission is to promote the human development of families in region in order to make them play a leading role in the improvement of their lives and their communities. Its objectives include: promotion of social change, development of a new social culture, and promotion of socio-economic transformation. INPRHU also promotes production diversification and transformation, the increment of production levels, and market access.
THE VOLUNTEER’S ROLE
Overall placement purpose:
To promote the economic, social and environmental development of rural families in Madriz, through the promotion of marketing strategies and value chain in horticulture products. Madriz, the department in northern Nicaragua where the volunteer will be working, is one of the most impoverished regions of the country, where the majority of people depend on agriculture and practice subsistence farming.
- Identify horticulture market strategies
- Establish horticulture value chains
- Assist with horticulture processing
- Set up greenhouse cultivation techniques
- Support education activities in the INPRHU centers of Rural Alternative Education
- Assist with community development activities
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- University degree in Agriculture
- 1-3 years of experience in a related area
- Ability to design and conduct training workshops
- Knowledge of Agriculture (horticulture)
- Familiarity with horticulture marketing strategies
- Understanding of value chains
- Good knowledge of software programs
TRAINING AND FINANCIAL SUPPORT
Our training and support package covers the costs of being an overseas volunteer, allowing you to enjoy a modest but healthy lifestyle while you volunteer abroad. This includes:
· Attendance at a Cuso International assessment day (candidates must cover the first $150 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and accommodation costs).
· Travel and accommodation costs associated with pre-departure training.
· Return airfare and visa/permit (this includes a return flight in the case of a family emergency).
· Coverage for required vaccinations, medications and comprehensive health insurance.
· Accommodation while overseas.
· A modest living allowance, which varies depending on the country where you are placed
· Quarterly payments to support you in your placement
· Modest support for accompanying partners
Please apply online, quoting referral code NIC0004-0001-0002 and the name of the placement.