- PARTNER NAME : Centro Agronómico Tropical de Investigación y Enseñanza (CATIE)
- LOCATION: Matagalpa, Nicaragua
- LENGTH OF PLACEMENT: 12 months
- FUNDING ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS :
- Must be Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident
- LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS: Spanish Level 3-4
Cuso International is a non-profit development organization that works through volunteers. Each year, we send hundreds of global citizens to work on collaborative development projects in more than 20 countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Caribbean. We are one of North America’s leading international development organizations that works through volunteers.ABOUT CUSO INTERNATIONAL
ABOUT THE PARTNER ORGANIZATION
The CATIE is an international institution focusing on research and graduate education in the agricultural sciences and natural resources, and on environmental aspects related to both. CATIE has accumulated extensive experience in the management of forests and agro-ecosystems in Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Costa Rica, as well as participative proposals for territorial ordering in Guatemala and Nicaragua. CATIE’s goal in Nicaragua is to promote the economic, social and environmental development of rural communities. Its strategies aim at supporting agriculture, livestock development, water and sanitation, management of natural resources, food security, rural small business, rural infrastructures, and rural-community tourism.
THE VOLUNTEER’S ROLE
Overall placement purpose:
To promote the economic, social and environmental development of rural families in Matagalpa. The Rural Agri-Business Development Advisor will work in the MAP (Meso-America Agro Environmental Programme). He/she will help small and medium size farmers and will implement strategies that will secure their livelihoods.
• Design and implement strategies and participatory methodologies for the development of learning in the area of livelihoods and community resources
• Organize participatory trainings and prepare educational material for CATIE field schools (escuelas de campo) in the field of entrepreneurship, production and commercialization of agriculture products
• Monitor and evaluate partners’ organizational and entrepreneurship initiatives
• Document and systematize methodological processes and results
• Assist with the dissemination of information on the lessons learned and methodologies in Agriculture publications and other forums
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
• University degree in Agriculture, Rural Development, or Agri-Business
• 1-3 years of experience in the field of Agri-Business
• Ability to design and conduct training workshops
• Knowledge of Agriculture (horticulture)
• Familiarity with livestock marketing strategies
• Knowledge of food security
• Understanding of value chains
• Good knowledge of software programs
TRAINING AND FINANCIAL SUPPORT
Our training and support package covers the costs of being an overseas volunteer, allowing you to enjoy a modest but healthy lifestyle while you volunteer abroad. This includes:
• Attendance at a Cuso International assessment day (candidates must cover the first $150 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and accommodation costs).
• Travel and accommodation costs associated with pre-departure training.
• Return airfare and visa/permit (this includes a return flight in the case of a family emergency).
• Coverage for required vaccinations, medications and comprehensive health insurance.
• Accommodation while overseas.
• A modest living allowance, which varies depending on the country where you are placed
• Quarterly payments to support you in your placement
• Modest support for accompanying partners
Please apply online, quoting referral code NIC0005-0001-0001 and the name of the placement.