TERM: JANUARY - DECEMBER 2014
LOCATION: HALIFAX / NS BASED
Since 2001, Food Secure Canada (FSC) has hosted biennial assemblies that have brought together the many diverse actors in the food system and food movements to learn together, strengthen our networks and build analysis and action to advance our goals. These vibrant three-day events often include a feast and tours that highlight local producers, businesses and organizations. The 2014 Assembly will be held in Halifax, Nova Scotia, November 2014 and is co-hosted by Food Action Research Centre (FoodARC) and FSC and in collaboration with Atlantic Canada Organic Regional Network (ACORN) and the Nova Scotia Food Security Network.
We are seeking a full-time Assembly Coordinator (can be one or more people working in a team) to provide core staff support in all aspects relating to the organization of the Assembly. The development of the Assembly is guided by an Assembly Team (with participation across Canada) and associated Working Groups, including fundraising, program development and communications, as well as the Logistics Team, which will operationalize Assembly plans. She / he will be co-supervised by FoodARC and FSC.
The Assembly Coordinator will have the following responsibilities:
- develop a workplan that relates to all other planning documents;
- support the development of the fundraising and sponsorship plan with the Fundraising Working Group;
- implement fundraising plan, write grants, liaising with appropriate Working Group members and local resources (e.g., the Community Engagement volunteers, etc.) and serve as clearinghouse for potential and approached sponsors;
- coordinate aspects relating to the FSC portion of the trade show in partnership with ACORN;
- provide support to program development;
- support the development of the communications and media plan with the Communications Working Group, including community outreach;
- develop appropriate communications materials and implement the communications plan (including managing and fielding local media inquiries);
- keep records and compile key information into an archive of the 2014 Assembly binder;
- provide core staff support for all aspects of local logistics and operations; and
- recruit and coordinate Assembly volunteers.
The successful candidate(s) will have:
- demonstrated experience and connections in securing sponsors and in fundraising in Nova Scotia;
- excellent writing and interpersonal skills;
- an awareness of food issues;
- demonstrated experience working in collaboration with large networks, diverse interests and of successful conference organizing;
- be a quick learner, an independent worker and highly organized; and
- a good sense of humour.
- Bilingualism is an asset.
We are an equal opportunity employer and candidates from traditionally disadvantaged groups are especially encouraged to apply. This is an 11-month (January 15 2014 – December 15 2014), full-time at $40,000-45,000/year.
Please submit a résumé and cover letter (1 page maximum) to: firstname.lastname@example.org before December 13, 2013. If you are submitting a team/job-share application, please provide a résumé for each person and a joint cover letter (2 pages maximum) that also outlines how you would work together.
For more information about Food Secure Canada and previous Assemblies, please visit https://foodsecurecanada.org/