Food Secure Canada (FSC) is looking for an experienced individual to play a leadership role in a program which aims to drive sustainable food procurement in institutions. The work is a partnership between Food Secure Canada and the J.W. McConnell Family Foundation’s Sustainable Food Systems Initiative. The contract is for three years with an initial six month probation period. This person is ideally located in Montreal although other locations will be considered.
As an employee of Food Secure Canada and under the direction of FSC’s Executive Director and the J.W. McConnell Foundation’s Senior Program Officer, the Institutional Food Program Manager will develop strategic partnerships and communications, advise the Foundation in the selection and evaluation of grants, and provide information and support to organizations funded under the program.
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills and qualifications:
- Strong knowledge of and background in food systems and familiarity with food movement (environmental, economic and\or social aspects)
- Experience working with food industry or food service in public institutions
- Detailed technical knowledge of institutional procurement practices and contractual and regulatory aspects of procurement
- Experience in program management
- Policy development experience, in particular in an institutional context
- Excellent written and oral communication, interpersonal, facilitation and computer skills
- Ability to build bridges, create partnerships and achieve consensus among diverse groups, stakeholders and organizations.
- Well-organized with excellent follow-through on tasks
- Good team worker and a sense of humour
- A college or university diploma / degree in relevant field
- Fully bilingual (French and English) is a strong asset
- Background in research, advocacy or policy in related field is an asset
- Experience in evaluation including developing or working with indicators is an asset
- Commitment to FSC core goals: zero hunger, safe and healthy food, sustainable agriculture
- Develop and implement industry, government and institutional strategies and partnerships to catalyze change
- Advise and collaborate with the Foundation on grants and other work undertaken as part of the Institutional Food program
- Coordinate exchange and learning among organizations funded under Foundation’s Institutional Food Program
- Develop and implement strategic communications to increase knowledge and impact of this work
- Provide expert advice and support to organizations funded under the program and other partners
- Liaison with academics and other partners working on related issues
- Contribute to FSC staff team and development of related priorities including FSC Assembly
- Participate in FSC outreach and promotional activities
- In-Canada travel required at times, occasional evenings and weekend work
- Assist with other tasks as needed
Please send your resume and a cover letter and addressed to FSC Executive Director, Ms. Diana Bronson, to firstname.lastname@example.org before midnight on March 13, 2014 with Job Posting for Institutional Food Program Manager as the subject line. Food Secure Canada is committed to equality, and encourages applications from people of all sexual and gender orientations, including those who identify as visible minorities, Indigenous people, and/or persons with disabilities. Interviews are expected to take place in mid March. Only candidates that have been selected for an interview will receive a reply.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Start date: As soon as possible.
Food Secure Canada is a pan-Canadian alliance of organizations and individuals working together to advance food security and food sovereignty through three inter-locking goals: zero hunger, healthy and safe food, and sustainable food systems. Our policy platform is Resetting the Table: A People’s Food Policy for Canada. For more information, please visit: www.foodsecurecanada.org
The J.W. McConnell Family Foundation https://mcconnellfoundation.ca/ is a private philanthropic organization with programs that support Canadians in building a more innovative, inclusive, sustainable, and resilient society. The Institutional Food Program is part of the Sustainable Food Systems Initiative.