All MCC workers are expected to exhibit a commitment to: a personal Christian faith and discipleship; active church membership; and nonviolent peacemaking.
MCC is an equal opportunity employer, committed to employment equity. MCC values diversity and invites all qualified candidates to apply.
The MCC Abbotsford Clothing Shop is actively engaged in receiving and selling used clothing, small housewares, books, toys, and collectibles with all proceeds designated to support the relief and development work of Mennonite Central Committee, all in a manner that is efficient and fosters Christian respect for customers, staff and volunteers. This position involves responsibility for receiving, pre-sorting, and directing flow of (clothing and household) donations.
This is a full-time salaried position (40 hours) requiring availability for all Mondays and Saturdays. Rotating schedule would be arranged for the remainder of the week days.
This position is available on a salaried basis. Only those candidates who are legally eligible to work in Canada should apply.
- Self-motivated with ability to work collaboratively with staff and volunteer team.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills, willing and able to work with a variety of people.
- Able to interact with donors in a pleasant manner.
- Ability to lift and move heavy objects safely (up to 50 lbs).
- Basic ability to assess quality of clothing and household goods.
- Good organizational skills,
- Ability to multi-task in fast-paced environment.
- Good basic knowledge of MCC programs, both in North America and internationally, preferred.
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver's License, accompanied by a satisfactory driver's abstract.
- Satisfactory criminal record check.
There are nine MCC Thrift Shops in BC involved in selling donated clothing, books, furniture and other items in order to raise income for the ministry of MCC BC. The MCC Abbotsford Clothing Shop is a ministry in and of itself, providing low cost goods to people in our community, as well as providing international and local aid. Thrift Shops make a valuable contribution to good stewardship and a healthy environment by recycling items that might otherwise be thrown away. In addition, they provide a sense of community to volunteers and the people we serve through social interaction in a caring community.
This particular assignment involves taking responsibility for receiving donations, pre-sorting donations into categories, and directing the flow of donations after they are received and transporting clothing for recycling to the MCC warehouse This position further includes responsibility for the tidiness and organization of the upper receiving area. A key element of this position is the ability to interact with donors to MCC in a pleasant manner and to work as part of a team with the staff and volunteers of both the Abbotsford Clothing Shop and Furniture and More.
The Donations Receiver/Sorter position is a full-time salaried opening (40 hours), responsible to the MCC Abbotsford Clothing Shop Manager. This position requires available all Mondays and Saturdays, plus a rotating schedule for the remainder of the week.
- Receive donations (primarily clothing and household goods) in the drive-thru receiving area, working together with the Furniture and More Donations Receiver.
- Pre-sort donations into categories (clothing, books, shoes, housewares, small appliances, hardware, toys, etc.). Pre-sorting includes assessing quality and disposing of recycling or non-saleable goods.
- Transport sorted donations to designated areas.
- Maintain tidiness and organization of the upper receiving area.
- Assist with sorting in the downstairs sorting area, as directed.
- Articulate the mission/purpose of MCC to customers/donors, as required.
- Ensure that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is exemplified in the performance of all job responsibilities and through personal example.
- Model reconciliation and healing in daily actions with public, volunteers and staff.
- Attend staff meetings.
- Participate in scheduled staff/volunteer devotional meetings.
Abbotsford is a city in excess of 115, 000 people located in the Fraser Valley, approximately 70 kms drive from Vancouver, the largest BC city centre. Abbotsford is located near the Rocky Mountain base, especially a pleasure if one is keen to do a lot of hiking. The increasingly multi-cultural city has grown significantly in the last years with major building programs and an emergence of new businesses. It serves the community well with a full range of health, community and social services. Abbotsford has access to all essential services and amenities required.
Working Conditions: The position requires working in an often fast-paced environment and requires working on one's feet for significant periods of time while regularly lifting and emptying bags and boxes of used goods weighing up to 50 lbs. It also regularly requires moving rolling bins to various locations throughout the store.