Food Matters Manitoba is creating an applicant pool for a digital communications internship. Food Matters Manitoba internships are 35 hours per week, based in Winnipeg and paid $14 per hour. Please note internship criteria at the end of this posting.
Those interested in applying for this position are invited to send their resume and cover letter by email to info at foodmattersmanitoba.ca (subject line: Internship Applicant Pool).
The Digital Communications Intern will assist the Communications Coordinator with the daily communication activities of the organization and the development of new communications tools.
- Assisting with the communications for organizational events such as Localvore and the Growing
- Local Conference and taking the lead on promoting them to the public and key audiences.
- Media relations, including pitching story ideas, responding to inquiries and participating in interviews.
- Updating the FMM website and contact databases.
- Monitoring local media and tracking media hits.
- Editing, assembling and distributing FMM newsletters and the FMM northern newsletter.
- Edit and develop the FMM Annual Report
- Using traditional and social media to establish a greater organizational presence and public awareness of food security in rural, urban and northern Manitoba.
- Attending major conferences/events with the FMM display.
- Other duties as required
The successful applicant will demonstrate:
- Proven web and social networking capabilities, and knowledge of new media
- Experience and/or training in Communications and Public Relations
- Knowledge of, and interest in, food security and rural issues is considered an asset
- Basic layout and design skills
- The ability to travel and make public presentations
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong organisational skills with proven attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills and enjoy working with the public
- Able to exercise independent judgment
- Strong time management and able to multitask and meet deadlines
- High level of computer knowledge, including MS Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, etc.
- Be self motivated and a team player
- A valid driver’s licence and access to a vehicle would be an asset
- between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the time of placement;
- not receiving Employment Insurance benefits;
- a graduate of a post-secondary education program;
- not previously participated in a Human Resources and Development Canada Internship
- be unemployed; or underemployed (working 20 hours or less on a regular basis); or working in a job that does not match your area of educational study;
- out of school;
- a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee status has been conferred;
- legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations;
- willing to complete a Police Records Check.
Thank you for your interest. Only candidates selected to be interviewed will be contacted.
As a registered charity, Food Matters partners with northerners, newcomers, farmers and families to harvest, prepare and share good food.
For more information please visit www.foodmattersmanitoba.ca