Santropol Roulant is seeking a positive, passionate and supportive individual to join our team as Kitchen Co-Manager with a focus on our Meals-on-Wheels program.
About Santropol Roulant
Santropol Roulant uses food as a vehicle to break social isolation between generations. Creatively and collaboratively, we strengthen and nourish our local community with our novel approaches to active community engagement, youth leadership, food security and social inclusion.
The Roulant's staff is young and dynamic with job descriptions and responsibilities that sometimes exceed their experience. As such, opportunities to learn and grow are key benefits of working at Santropol Roulant. Our working culture supports staff members in developing the skills required to ensure that our collective impact matches organizational and personal aspirations.
About the Meals-on-Wheels Kitchen
Santropol Roulant's Meals-on-Wheels (MoW) service lies at the heart of our mission to build a rich and healthy social fabric by contributing to greater food security for the elderly and those experiencing a loss of autonomy. Five days per week, fifty-two weeks per year, volunteers from diverse backgrounds and with various levels of experience come together to make warm and heathly meals that will nourish our client-members. We strive to integrate as much local and organic food into our meals as possible, much of it coming from our peri-urban and urban gardens.
About the Position
Working closely with the other Kitchen Co-Manager, the Kitchen and Meals-on-Wheels teams, the primary responsibility of the Kitchen Co-Manager (MoW) is to assure that our Meals-on-Wheels program is a model of excellence in the areas of seniors' nutrition and the engagement of our volunteers.
- Prepare 80 – 100 complete meals 3 days per week, with the support of a team of volunteers.
- Support kitchen volunteers with a variety of skills and abilities, providing on-the-spot training where necessary.
- Provide training to interns and volunteers, enabling them to take more leadership in daily food preparation.
Kitchen and Meal Quality Management
- Take leadership in the evolution of our menus to guarantee a standard of excellence in provision of nutritious meals to seniors.
- Work with Santropol Roulant's farm and urban gardens to maximise the use of seasonal produce in the meals.
- Oversee the budget for the meal input purchases, including food and packaging materials.
- Implement and maintain excellent health and safety conditions in the kitchen, including visual communication where necessary.
Caring for our Kitchen
- Create a welcoming environment in the kitchen for volunteers with a variety of abilities and skill levels, including purchasing of new materials when required.
- Lead the process of transforming our kitchen to make it more physically accessible to people with reduced mobility or other accessibility challenges
- Manage the storage and organisation of our food stocks in the kitchen and the basement
- Bring the perspective of the special food needs of seniors and those experiencing a loss of autonomy to Santropol Roulant's community (at events, in planning priorities, etc.).
- As a full-time staff member, participate in collective responsibilities such as staff meetings, MoW meetings, hiring committees, event planning committees, and other collaborative projects.
We are looking for candidates with the following interests, skills and experience:
- Passion for cooking and working in a kitchen and for using food to create social change.
- Experience with cooking for large numbers of people on a daily basis
- Experience and excitement about working with volunteers from diverse backgrounds
- Experience creating menus appropriate for people with specific dietary needs an asset
- Good understanding of food security issues in Montreal and nutritional needs of seniors an important asset
- Desire to care for the condition and arrangement of physical space, and attentive to how it affects how people relate to one another
- Strong attention to detail, especially in relation to cleanliness and hygiene
- Comfortable working in English and French, other languages an asset
- Excellent interpersonal and team work skills
- Excited about working in a collaborative and dynamic work environment
- At ease with working under pressure while maintaining a supportive atmosphere for volunteers
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and responsibilities
This is a full-time permanent position with a 40 hr/week on a Tuesday to Saturday schedule, with a forecasted start date in late November 2014. We ask for a minimum commitment of 2 years. This is a salaried position at $15 per hour, in accordance with Santropol Roulant's Salary Policy which also includes health and professional development benefits and annual salary augmentations.
To apply, please drop off or email your CV and cover letter to the Kitchen Co-Manager Hiring Committee at 111 Roy East or rh at santropolroulant.org by Monday November 10th at 9 am. Due to the large volume of applications anticipated, we unfortunately will only be contacting candidates chosen for an interview. Interviews will take place the week of November 17th.
As an organization that works to break social and economic isolation and bring people together across social barriers, Santropol Roulant recognizes that people who experience structural oppression and marginalization have a lot to offer our community. People of color, those recently arrived from other countries, people with disabilities, women, two-spirited and queer people, trans people, and other candidates who experience marginalization are strongly encouraged to apply and to self-identify in their cover letter.
Our primary office space is step-free and has an accessible washroom, but our second floor and basement are not wheelchair accessible. Please contact Stephanie if you have any questions about the accessibility of our work area or your participation in an interview process.