Food Secure Canada is a bilingual pan-Canadian alliance of organizations and individuals working together to advance food security and food sovereignty through three inter-locking goals: zero hunger, healthy and safe food, and sustainable food systems. Our Policy platform is Resetting the Table: A People’s Food Policy for Canada.
Food Secure Canada’s Montreal office is looking for a Communications and Membership Coordinator. If you are experienced and passionate about spreading the excitement of the food movement to new audiences, this position may be for you. This position is based in Montreal.
The successful candidate will possess the following skills and qualifications
- University degree in Communications and Marketing or related field;
- Fully bilingual with excellent writing skills in French and\or English;
- Proven track record in building and implementing online communications
- Strong social media skills;
- Experience in media and public relations;
- Experience in membership recruitment, management and service. Knowledge of CiviCRM would be a strong asset;
- Familiarity with publications procedures and graphic design (familiarity with Photoshop an asset);
- Excellent computer skills (Familiarity with Macintosh computers and Microsoft Office essential) and significant experience in Content Management
- System (ideally in Drupal). Proficiency in HTML would be an asset;
- Interest in or experience with food and social justice;
- Familiarity with non-profit organizations and advocacy or campaigns;
- Well-organized with excellent follow-through on tasks;
- Good team worker with ability to prioritize a diversity of tasks;
- A sense of humour and a commitment to FSC core goals: zero hunger, safe and healthy food, sustainable food systems;
- Great organizational skills, able to work with volunteers.
- Develop, implement and evaluate FSC communications strategies to increase FSC visibility and membership base, including delivering upon precise outreach targets.
- Monitor media trends and news for relevant materials for FSC, including from our membership
- Oversee the development of our website, monitor traffic to ensure steady growth in our online presence
- Research and develop content to enhance FSC’s social media presence.
- Monitor media and member news and re-diffuse as appropriate
- Prepare a membership recruitment strategy and ensure that benefits correspond with member expectations.
- In collaboration with other staff, ensure dynamic and ongoing communications with members (organizational and individual).
- Preparation of all communications vehicles including annual report, newsletters, promotional materials, social media identities, audio-visual resources
- Effectively communicate our priorities to relevant audiences including our membership, policy makers and national media
- Act as a communications support to other staff
- Develop press releases, fact sheets and backgrounders and policy priorities.
- Organize press conferences when appropriate including lending FSC support to member initiatives.
- Coordinate and track interview requests and media interventions
- Help increase the visibility of the food movement in the media including by coordinating member media training
- Work with designated spokesperson and coordinate interviews for print and radio.
- Assist with the development of dynamic visual presentations (Prezi, Powerpoint) when necessary.
Please send your cover letter and resume by email to Diana Bronson at email@example.com before December 14th 2014 with “Communications and Membership Coordinator” as the subject line.
Food Secure Canada is committed to equality, and encourages applications from people of all sexual and gender orientations, including those who identify as visible minorities, Indigenous people, and/or persons with disabilities. Interviews are expected to take place in Montreal mid-December.
Only candidates that have been selected for an interview will receive a reply.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Start date: As soon as possible (December-January)