Reporting to the Food Hub Project Coordinator, this position is responsible for the organization of the Local Organic Food Co-ops Network’s 7th Annual Assembly, supporting all other LOFC Network events (presentations, workshops, etc), and leading the execution of both internal and
The role is that of an independent contractor, which requires the successful candidate to provide monthly invoices and to manage their own tax remittances, etc. Hours to be negotiated to an estimated 25 hours a week with a greater number of hours being required in the month leading up to and during the Assembly. This is a 6 month contract (August 31, 2015 – February 29, 2016) with flexible location (Mississauga or remote).
- Write, design and manage quarterly e-news communications
- Manage and maintain member and partner database
- Create promotional materials for use on website and on the road (brochures, postcards, flyers, etc.)
- Devise and implement media and outreach strategies around special events (ie. virtual campfires, webinars, food hub forums, annual assembly)
- Develop news releases, fact sheets, toolkits, infographics, social media posts, blog posts, newsletter columns and other forms of communication
- Develop and implement social media plan
- Assist with preparation of Network Steering Committee meeting materials and Network communications
- Plan, market, and host monthly virtual campfires for Network members
- Be available for one on one consultations with Network members (phone calls, with possibly some local travel)
- Offer support in connecting co-ops to resources and each other
Website Development & Maintenance:
- Develop website content for regular updating
- Maintain website: ensure website content is dynamic, up to date and reflects the culture and features of the Network (WordPress platform)
- Monitor website for broken links and correct as necessary
- Use Google Analytics and other tools to measure effectiveness of website changes on visitor engagement
- Support Food Hub Project Coordinator to develop a password protected section of the website for tools, templates, and additional resources for anticipated member-only resources
Project & Event Management:
- Develop all aspects of the 7th Annual Assembly of the LOFC Network, including, but not limited to:
- Fundraising and sponsorship
- Managing the conference budget
- Program development (workshops, plenary sessions, keynote speakers, special guests, etc)
- Registration and accommodations, in conjunction with event venue
- Materials and logistics coordination
- Advertising and communications
- Assist with coordination & implementation of special projects as needed (food hub forums)
- Exceptional writing, editing and proofreading skills with proven ability to draft clear, professional communications
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
- Proficient in content creation and management using WordPress platform
- Proficient and familiar with using software tools and platforms, including Microsoft Office, Google Analytics, Google Drive, and social media platforms
- Outstanding organizational, project management and prioritization skills
- Self-motivated, creative problem solver with high attention to detail
- Fun to work with; defaults to kindness and humour
ABOUT LOFC Network
The Local Organic Food Co-ops (LOFC) Network is a collaborative of Ontario’s food and farming co-operatives striving to build their collective capacity through education and training locally, regionally, and provincially. The LOFC Network operates upon the sixth of the seven cooperative principles: co-operation among co-operatives. The Network responds to its members’ needs, hosting an annual gathering, regular regional events, and many virtual spaces for sharing and exchange between food and farm co-ops.
The LOFC Network has expanded from a dozen to nearly ninety co-operatives in its six years of working together with the support of many partner organizations in both the food and co-op movements. LOFC has been fortunate to work with Sustain Ontario, the Ontario Co-op Association, Food Secure Canada, Co-ops and Mutuals Canada, the Canadian Worker Co-op Federation, the Carrot Cache, the Canadian Association for Food Studies, the Canadian Association for Studies in Co-operation, and is pleased to be forming a new collaboration with the Ecological Farmers of Ontario.
The LOFC Network has received coverage in prominent academic journals and trade magazines, and in 2013, accepted the Ontario Co-operative Association’s spirit award for co-operative development. In 2014, the LOFC Network received a Local Food Fund grant to support its regional food hub expansion project, and in 2015 embarked upon its first strategic planning process.
Since 2011, the LOFC Network has been hosted by the Ontario Natural Food Co-op (ONFC), a 40 year old distributor of natural and organic foods and products situated in Mississauga, Ontario. Please visit the ONFC website for more information: /en/page/broken-link?old_url=http%253A%252F%252Fonfc.ca.
Remuneration based on level of experience. No phone calls, please.
APPLICANTS SHOULD SUBMIT THEIR RESUME, COVER LETTER AND 3 REFERENCES TO THE ATTENTION OF THE LOFC NETWORK HIRING COMMITTEE AT lofcnetwork at gmail.com ON OR BEFORE AUGUST 21, 2015.
SOURCE: LOFC Network