3.5 Year Contract, 30 hour/week position
DANIEL MCINTYRE/ST. MATTHEWS COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION (DMSMCA)
DMSMCA is a non-profit community renewal organization. We work with residents and stakeholders towards social, cultural, economic and environmentally sustainable renewal and revitalization of the Daniel McIntyre / St. Matthews neighbourhoods. Our vision is to take a holistic community approach towards the issue of neighbourhood wellbeing and safety with a strong emphasis on community building and wellbeing, prevention, organising and empowering residents; building a strong community with stronger ties between people.
- To coordinate the implementation of the new 5 year Daniel McIntyre/St. Matthews (DM/SM) Community Building and Safety Plan, in association with local residents and stakeholders and to report on and carry out evaluations of the implementation of these plans.
The Community Building and Wellbeing Coordinator will be responsible for the following activities:
- Community Building and Wellbeing:
- Finalize and Implement the new 5 Year DM/SM neighbourhood community Building and Safety Plan;
- Organise, coordinate and facilitate participatory DM/SM safety audits, targeted block meetings and capacity building events and workshops;
- Outreach and network with various community stakeholders, including homeowners, tenants, landlords, other NRC colleagues and other related community organisations (e.g. , Sage House, West End BIZ, etc.);
- Communicate regularly and build stronger relationships with the Winnipeg Police Service, Manitoba Justice, as well as other relevant government agencies (Municipal, Provincial, Federal);
- Liaise with various levels on government to ensure implementation City by-laws, Provincial legislation, etc. in DM/SM (e.g. Safer Communities Act, Health and Safety, etc.).
- Coordinate and provide administrative support to the DMSMCA Community Building and Wellbeing Committee;
- Write funding proposals to support Community Building and Wellbeing initiatives in the neighbourhood; and
- Support other DMSMCA Staff by attending staff meetings, helping out with DMSMCA events and activities (e.g. Spring Clean-up, AGM, Annual Community Consultation, etc. );
- Represent DMSMCA at appropriate events; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualification and Experience:
Bachelor of Arts and/or Master of Urban Planning or Community Development Worker Diploma and/or equivalent education and related work experience in community development/ community based programming, planning, communication and implementation with particular experience in community building and wellbeing.
- Understanding and knowledge of the root causes of crime and community development approaches to crime prevention and promotion of safety.
- Knowledge of CED principles.
- Experience and knowledge of conflict mediation.
Skills in the following areas are essential to the position:
- Project and Volunteer Management;
- Strong organisational skills;
- Strong analytical, written and verbal communication skills;
- Community development approaches and practices;
- Strong collaboration and networking skills;
- Public consultation methods;
- Pro-active leader, positive attitude, works well independently and in a team;
- Understanding and appreciation of inner city communities;
- Outreach to diverse populations;
- Working with historically marginalized populations; and
- Computer capability.
- Knowledge of the Daniel McIntyre St. Matthews Community (preference given to DM/SM residents);
- Valid driver’s license and occasional access to a vehicle; and
Other Information: DMSMCA is an equity employer; visible minorities, Aboriginal people are encouraged to apply.
Wage: Salaried -$16.05 – $18.00/ hour depending on experience plus 6% paid vacation. Training, in support of the position, as well as extended health benefits will also be provided.
Hours of Work: This is a 3.5 year (ending on March 31, 2019) 30 hour/week position; some evening and weekend hours required. Continuation of the position depends on funding availability.
Start Date: To start immediately.
Please submit resume and cover letter by Monday, November 9th, 2015 at 4pm to:
Daniel McIntyre/St. Matthews Community Association
823 Ellice Avenue
Winnipeg, MB R3G 0C3
Email: director at dmsmca.ca
Thank you to all those who apply, only those selected for an interview will be contacted