We have an excellent opportunity for an Executive Director to lead the new South Vancouver Island Economic Development Association (SVIEDA) - a non-profit organization focused on job creation in targeted sectors that reflect local values and sustain families across south Vancouver Island.
The primary objective of the Association is to diversify and strengthen the south-island economy, including attracting investment and fostering trade for the benefit of the region, its businesses and municipalities, First Nations and its residents.
Reporting to an industry-led Board of Directors, this leader will work closely with the South Vancouver Island municipalities and other funding partners to facilitate economic development across political and sector boundaries. The Executive Director will form critical relationships, find partnership opportunities, attract new funding sources, and deliver projects and programs focused on increasing economic activity in the south-island region.
The ideal candidate is a professional, values-driven leader from the economic development, business sector, or a related industry, with the ability to build wide-reaching support to enhance economic development. The right candidate will bring superior interpersonal and communication skills combined with a proven track record of achieving outstanding business development results.
Are you comfortable interacting with and being accountable to a Board of Directors? Do you bring an entrepreneurial spirit and the leadership agility to guide professional and administrative staff? Do you have a track record of attracting funding; and do you pride yourself on being able to succeed, even in an environment of competing interests and priorities? If so, we want to hear from you.
A university degree in commerce, economics, business administration, political science, or a business-related field; or equivalent combination of education and recent, related experience.
- Minimum of five to seven years recent, related senior management experience, ideally in non-profit sector organizations and/or in an economic development organization, business, or equivalent.
- Demonstrated effective leadership skills and experience in fiscal management, strategic planning, and funding negotiation.
- Experience preparing and meeting an annual operating budget of $2 million or more, including responsibility for expenditures and operational management.
- Demonstrated experience managing staff and leading organizational/transformational change.
- Experience reporting directly to a board of directors in a non-profit society preferred.
- A proven track record of innovative and strategic decision-making.
- Successful experience in raising funds.
More about the position:
- Plans strategies to attract new businesses and encourage expansion and retention of existing business in targeted economic sectors to promote a stronger economic base.
- Looks for opportunities to build synergies among businesses within similar sectors.
- Builds relationships with regional, provincial and federal economic development organizations and governments.
- Promotes South Vancouver Island as a viable location of business / industry by contacting regional, provincial, federal and international businesses.
- Represents the Association at meetings, presentations, trade shows and through development of proposals and promotional materials.
- Works with the Board to ensure support and coordination of economic development activities.
- Supervises professional and administrative staff (five in total, including the Executive Director)
- Supports the Board in member relations including fund raising.
- Informs and advises appropriate parties regarding economic development projects in person and through presentations and written reports.
- Prepares, administers and oversees monitoring of Association budget, day-to-day operations and Association asset management.
- Evaluates program and project effectiveness.
- Keeps abreast of the advances, procedures, regulations, technologies and other market-related changes in areas related to economic development.
Relocation assistance for qualified candidates may be considered.
We offer a competitive compensation package, commensurate with your experience, and a full-time, multi-faceted, leadership role in a rewarding organization.
How To Apply:
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply in confidence to careers at tallsky.ca with a covering letter, and a resume that clearly demonstrates your education and the experience required of this position, as well as your salary expectations by Friday, January 22, 2016.
We thank all applicants who apply, however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
To learn more about the SVIEDA, please visit our web site
SOURCE: South Vancouver Island Economic Development Association