Want to do work that makes a difference?
We work to change lives. Check out our mission, vision and values on our website. Don’t forget to read about how we work with our participants to make a difference.
Momentum staff are expected to work cooperatively with others; demonstrate flexibility in organizing work; have good communication skills; and demonstrate thoughtfulness in decision making. As a learning organization Momentum staff are also expected to continuously develop professionally and personally.
Staff must be non-judgmental and receptive in approach and reflect genuine concern, respect and commitment towards the individual, family and community.
Momentum is an award winning and nationally recognized community economic development organization utilizing innovative approaches to poverty reduction. We’re striving to be an employer of choice and were selected as one of Alberta’s Top 70 Employers for 2016. We provide competitive compensation and benefits with an unparalleled work environment. We’re professional and diverse so you’ll find a range of people and backgrounds working here anywhere from an MBA to Social Work and everything in between. We’re serious about our work but we don’t take ourselves too seriously and love to celebrate and have fun along the way. We have high standards within a supportive setting that allows us to achieve a lot and have meaningful impact in the community. We’re good corporate citizens with sustainability being one of our values and take care to reduce our environmental footprint.
If this sounds like a place where you would want to work, please review the position below to see if there’s a fit with your skills and experience.
What you’ll be doing
Deliver programs within the Business Development Department (specific programs to be determined)
- Assessment and selection of participants for programs
- Class facilitation
- Supporting participants through the business development process (providing guidance and feedback on assignments and final deliverables)
- Program management (marketing programs, developing course schedules, arranging for guest speakers, progress reports, proposal development, program design, evaluation, data management, and financial management of programs)
- Work collectively with the Business Development Team to support participants through the entire continuum of service delivery (from business idea, to launch, to capitalization, to business sustainability)
Who we’re looking for
- You are friendly and outgoing. People describe you as approachable.
- You can work independently, with little supervision
- You also work well in a collaborative team environment
- You have a mission of service
- You are flexible and can adapt easily
- You are a natural problem solver
- You are well networked in the business community
- You are patient and supportive
- You have an entrepreneurial spirit and can juggle multiple priorities
- You can work a couple of evenings per week
What you need to do it well
- You have program management experience
- You know lots about Community Economic Development
- You have small business experience
- You have experience working with vulnerable and diverse populations
- You have adult education experience, understand how adults learn, especially those with learning barriers
- You have experience achieving results
Key Areas of Responsibility
This position provides administrative support in the areas of:
- Program promotion and intake
- Business training and program management
- Evaluation and reporting
- Organizational and community involvement
Program Promotion & Intake
- Assist with the development of program promotional strategies and materials
- Disseminate promotional materials
- Develop and maintain good working relationship with referring agencies including giving and/or attending presentations
- Participate in relevant tradeshows/events
- Respond to all inquiries via email, telephone, sending promotional material, and/or personal meetings
- Assist participants through the application process by providing orientation to the program and its requirements and assisting with program application
- Conduct applicant interviews, assessment and selection process
- Select participants who meet Momentum criteria, are ready, willing, and able to launch a business, and are likely loan candidates
- Implement and maintain a registration system
Business Training/Program Management
- Encourage peer support and holistic well being among participants
- Function as the key contact in supporting participants’ needs
- Work collaboratively with other staff and contractors regarding common participants
- Manage the program within the stated budgets
- In collaboration with the Business Development team, design the curriculum that meet the stated outcomes of programs
- Facilitate classes and workshops while delivering the curriculum using adult education principles
- Arrange for guest speakers
- For start-up programs, facilitate the completion of sequential assignments that fold into the business plan including their design, implementation and feedback to the participants
- For established business participants, facilitate the update of participants’ business plans and creation/implementation of their strategic plans.
- Support the development of strong financial models with participants and the development of plans worthy of credit consideration
- Evaluate participants’ progress and implement intervention strategies on an as needed basis
- Work collaboratively with the contracted business Coaches to deliver one-on-one business coaching
- After program completion encourage continued support to the participants through the mentorship program and other Small Biz Support services offered through the department
- Organize special events within the program
Evaluation and Reporting
- Collect and maintain necessary data required for reporting and evaluation.
- Create and implement program innovation, continuous improvements resulting from evaluation results
- Monitor program progress with regards to achievement of program outputs and outcomes
- Organize and conduct participant follow up
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date electronic records through the accepted tracking procedures
- Maintain required hard copy records for each participant
- Prepare required reports
- Ensure the Business Development Manager is aware of program and participant successes and difficulties
- Meet data collection requirements which contribute to program funder’s broader research.
Departmental, Organizational and Community Involvement
- Participate in Business Development meetings and staff meetings
- Be involved in Momentum’s initiatives of interest when capacity allows
- Where appropriate and interested, be involved in business development and community economic development initiatives
Please forward resume with covering letter:
Via e-mail to: job at momentum.org.
State competition number in subject line of email.
|Closing Date:||Until suitable candidate is found|
Applicants must state salary expectations in their cover letter.
Momentum is an equal opportunity employer. Persons from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To see why Momentum is a great place to work and what we have to offer visit www.momentum.org