Want to do work that makes a difference?
We work to change lives. Check out our mission, vision and values on our website. Don’t forget to read about how we work with our participants to make a difference.
Momentum staff work cooperatively with others; demonstrate flexibility in organizing work; have good communication skills; and demonstrate thoughtfulness in decision making. As a learning organization, Momentum staff are expected to continuously develop professionally and personally.
Staff are non-judgmental and receptive in approach and reflect genuine concern, respect and commitment towards the individual, family and community.
Momentum is an award winning and nationally recognized community economic development organization utilizing innovative approaches to poverty reduction. We use financial literacy, skills training, and small business development as tools to empower people as they exit poverty.
We’re striving to be an employer of choice and were selected as one of Alberta’s Top 50 Employers for 2011. We provide competitive compensation and benefits with an unparalleled work environment. We’re professional and diverse so you’ll find a range of people and backgrounds working here anywhere from an MBA to Social Work and everything in between. We’re serious about our work but we don’t take ourselves too seriously and love to celebrate and have fun along the way. We have high standards within a supportive setting that allows us to achieve a lot and have meaningful impact in the community. We’re good corporate citizens with sustainability being one of our values and take care to reduce our environmental footprint.
If this sounds like a place where you would want to work, please review the position below to see if there’s a fit with your skills and experience.
Key Responsibility Areas
- Program and Organizational Marketing
- Fund Development Storytelling
- Special Event Delivery
- Resource Development Manager (Supervisor)
- Communications Coordinator
- Program Facilitators
- Resource Development Assistant
- Project Contractors
- Marketing and design support for projects across the organization
- To ensure program marketing is effective, consistent and meets the needs of the program staff
- To ensure organization-wide marketing pieces are well-designed and compelling for readers.
- Fund Development storytelling
- To convey Momentum’s message to donors in a compelling, creative way.
- Special event design and implementation
- To work alongside the Communications Coordinator to design and deliver creative, inspiring, memorable special events for Momentum’s stakeholders
Marketing and design support for projects across the organization
- Meets with program staff periodically to assess medium to long-term marketing needs.
- Provides orientation and training to Momentum staff on marketing standards/processes and lends support when standards are not met.
- Prioritizes marketing requests as they are received and keeps staff informed regarding timelines and status of projects.
- Builds capacity of staff to create their own marketing materials when appropriate.
- Brainstorms with staff to help find solutions to marketing questions or challenges.
- Maintains a high standard of quality customer service when following up with requests for marketing support.
- Works with Financial Literacy team and relevant contractors to manage updates to the Financial Literacy curriculum.
- Responds to requests from non-program functions (eg. policy team, Executive Director, Resource Development) to enhance the look and feel of communications pieces (eg. SROI studies, information briefs, strategic map, policy papers, Business breakfast agenda etc.)
Fund Development Storytelling
Proposals and Reports
- Translates information about Momentum strategy, programs and impact, into effective communication pieces for the donor audience. This can include cases for support, proposals, reports, appeal letters and thank yous.
- Works closely with members of Fund Development team to understand donor interests and nature of the proposal/report in order to produce a document based on the specific context/relationship.
- Uses Momentum’s tone and writing style in communications with donors and can shift tone/style for different contexts. Helps shape Momentum’s writing style/tone towards continual improvement as communications expectations evolve over time.
- Works with Resource Development Manager to create a plan for the theme, key messages, frequency and channels for campaign communications.
- Writes letters and emails used throughout the campaign.
- Conducts research and/or attains the marketing assets required to support the campaign messaging.
Special Event Design and Implementation
- Lends ideas and engages in creative brainstorming with Communications Coordinator and AGM event team to help create program elements.
- Creates compelling invitations and reminders to AGM event attendees.
- Works with Resource Development Assistant to carry out event logistics (tracking RSVPs, making arrangements with venue, creating signage, recruiting volunteers, etc.).
- Engages as a program development partner for Business Breakfast event design.
Departmental & Community Involvement
- Attends Core meetings and general staff meetings, the board/staff retreat, the AGM and other organizational events.
- Is involved in Momentum initiatives of interest as capacity allows or is applicable to the role.
- Participates in cross-organizational committees.
- Participates in the small task sign up.
- Attends graduations or events celebrating participant and program success periodically throughout the year.
Skills and Qualifications
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a marketing/communications, or fundraising role.
- Relevant post-secondary degree, diploma or equivalent work experience required.
- Excellent writing skills, with the ability to adapt writing to different audiences and styles
- Can identify the elements of a compelling story and is able to use writing, graphic design, and event design as mediums for the story to be told.
- Expertise with design software such as InDesign/Photoshop is an asset.
- Demonstrates a high customer service standard.
- Experience with project management involving multiple stakeholders.
- Event coordination experience an asset.
- Passionate about Momentum’s work and the participants we partner with.
- Excellent organizational, communication, interpersonal, and planning skills.
- Effective team building skills required; ability to work with a wide variety of individuals by using tact, diplomacy and flexibility and can resolve conflict effectively
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to work under pressure without compromising compassion and professionalism
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Sensitive to needs of persons with low literacy and/or English as a Second Language (ESL) when creating written materials
- Demonstrated dependability and reliability
- Ability to take initiative
- Strong computer skills – MS Office: Word, Excel, Outlook; Adobe Creative Suite: InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop.
- Availability to work some evenings is required
Please forward resume with covering letter:
Via e-mail to: job at momentum.org
State competition number in subject line of email.
|Closing Date:||Until suitable candidate is found|
Applicants must state salary expectations in their cover letter.
Momentum is an equal opportunity employer. Persons from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To see why Momentum is a great place to work and what we have to offer visit www.momentum.org