Artscape wishes to appoint a suitably senior and qualified candidate to lead the development and delivery of business and entrepreneurship training targeted specifically at creative and cultural sector workers. Consisting of business and entrepreneurship training programs and workshops; project based learning events (i.e. start-up weekends, pitch camps); networking events and mentorship, advisory and other services, these offerings will be a critical component of Artscape Launchpad, Artscape’s major new capital project.
The successful candidate will implement and further develop the training frameworks and approach set out in the “Artscape Launchpad Training Initiative” report. Artscape Launchpad business and entrepreneurship programs, events and services are already being piloted and the successful applicant will lead their significant expansion, to be delivered in Artscape venues across Toronto between 2016 and 2018, before moving into purpose built facilities within Artscape Launchpad. Opening in 2018 Artscape Launchpad will be a 30,000 square foot creative and cultural sector entrepreneurship training and creative production centre in Toronto.
The successful candidate will be a critical thinker, educator and learner able to demonstrate exceptional capacity in partnership development and cross-sector collaboration; an entrepreneurial sensibility and approach; a sympathy for the structure, needs and characteristics of the creative and cultural sector; and a passion for the project. The successful candidate will be a highly effective manager able to understand the complexities of deliverables associated with both funding agreements and the social enterprise model and approach which underpins the Artscape Launchpad project.
This position is likely to be subject to increased responsibility for human resource management and program development over time. The position will report to the Managing Director, Artscape Launchpad, and in the first instance to the Vice President and Creative Placemaking Lab Director, Artscape.
This is an opportunity to play a critical role in shaping the development of this ground-breaking cultural sector project in Toronto. You can read more about Artscape Launchpad at artscapelaunchpad.ca.
- Leads the design, development, implementation and evaluation of Artscape Launchpad’s training programs, events and services
- Identifies the need for new programs and new approaches to creative and cultural sector business and entrepreneurship training and leads their development
- Identifies and collaborates with partners to design and deliver programs, events and services
- Builds a roster of and manages expert facilitators and trainers to deliver Artscape Launchpad training programs and services
- Builds a roster of and manages expert instructional designers as necessary to develop new curricula for Artscape Launchpad
- Researches and leads the design, recruitment for, implementation and management of a comprehensive Mentorship program
- Engages and collaborates with Arts Service and Trade organisations, Post-Secondary Institutions, individual trainers and facilitators and others to build and deliver their programs at Artscape Launchpad
- Participates as a facilitator / trainer in Artscape Launchpad training programs, events and services
- Leads the development of a robust creative and cultural sector business and entrepreneurship information resource
- Manages a future staff team supporting the development, management and marketing of program offering.
- Manages relevant budgets and ensures that budget targets are on track and met.
- Produces clear and concise written reports and presentations
- Contributes to and participates in the realization of Artscape’s overarching vision and mission and undertakes other duties as directed
A Master’s level university degree in a relevant discipline, or substantial equivalent professional experience supported by a relevant undergraduate degree.
Please specify your competencies in your cover letter/CV for the technical applications listed below:
- Essential: Microsoft Office Professional applications
- Highly Desirable: salesforce and other database management
- Desirable: Adobe Creative Suite including InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator; web-based CMS and/or HTML; social media
Skills and Experience:
- A minimum of 7-10 years leadership experience in the business / entrepreneurship environment and / or in training and professional development
- Significant professional experience within the creative and cultural sector or, at minimum, evidenced and substantial knowledge and understanding of the structure, characteristics and needs of the sector
- Knowledge, understanding and experience of the application of the pedagogy of entrepreneurship training
- Significant professional experience in the design and management of training, professional development and / or related programming
- Substantial experience in leading successful partnership development, collaboration and facilitation
- Substantial experience in testing and refining innovative models of program delivery
- Exceptional project management and planning skills
- Exceptional human resource management skills
- Evidence of an entrepreneurial approach, able to develop implementable programming which meets ambitious financial targets
- Experience of financial planning and management in a social enterprise context
- Experience of facilitation / instruction in the professional development / continuing studies/adult education context
- Proven excellent oral and written communication skills
- Evidence of successfully managing multiple projects at once
- Highly organized, resourceful, collaborative and with capacity for critical thinking
- An entrepreneurial and creative thinker
- Able to synthesize and communicate complex ideas
- Enthusiastic, and committed to hands on instruction / facilitation
- A fast learner focused on results
- A sense of urgency, self-motivated and a disciplined doer
- A meticulous record keeper
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: Wednesday, March 9, 2016 at 5:00pm.
Artscape offers an employee health benefits package.
TO APPLY: Please respond with a cover letter thoroughly outlining the qualifications and experience you would bring to the position, your salary expectations and a CV/resume. Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
Applications will be received in confidence by mail or email only:
Attention: Human Resources, Director, Creative Entrepreneurship Submission
Suite 224, 171 East Liberty Street
Toronto, ON M6K 3P6
careers at artscape.ca (please note your name and Director, Creative Entrepreneurship in the email subject line)
All email submissions will receive a message confirming receipt. No phone calls please. We thank all applicants, however only those being considered for an interview will be contacted directly.
Artscape is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in all its work. We work proactively to be fair and equitable in practice and to build diversity into our teams, creative communities, programs and services.
ABOUT ARTSCAPE LAUNCHPAD
Artscape Launchpad is a new model of creative space: part incubator, part co-working facility and part entrepreneurship centre. Scheduled to open in 2018 as part of the Daniels Waterfront - City of the Arts on Toronto’s waterfront, it has been designed by Artscape to provide art and design professionals with the tools, resources, training and mentorship to build successful careers rooted in sustainable businesses. Artscape Launchpad members will gain access to a 30,000 square-foot, multi-disciplinary co-working environment full of equipment and technology, as well as a whole suite of programs and services to help them grow their incomes and launch new businesses.
Components of the building program include:
- Learning Labs: Five dedicated learning labs will allow for year-round enrolment in courses, workshops, events and project-based learning initiatives. Launchpad’s learning labs will range in size from 500 to 2,000 square feet with the largest accommodating 200 people.
- Creative Co-working Studios: Co-working studios will offer access to state-of-the-art design tools and rapid prototyping equipment; fully equipped digital photography, film and sound production facilities, including a green screen studio; and creative production studios that will include jewellery, fashion and textiles. This multi-disciplinary environment will allow designers/makers, craftspeople and artists to develop work individually or collaboratively.
- Creative Commons: Launchpad will include a “creative commons” with a community kitchen, communal work areas and hot desks, a flexible event space and an outdoor patio. The creative commons will allow creative ideas to flow freely so that chance encounters around the water cooler may develop into collaborations leading to innovation.
Artscape Launchpad has grown out of nearly a decade of collaboration and research with colleges, universities and trade organizations. We've focused on how we can help individuals and small businesses in the art and design communities thrive. The combination of programs, services and facilities that Launchpad will bring together is unprecedented. It will be a game-changer for artists and designers, a major boost for Ontario's $23 billion creative economy and a jolt of urban acupuncture that will help bring Toronto's waterfront to life. artscapelaunchpad.ca
Artscape is a not-for-profit urban development organization that makes space for creativity and transforms communities. Since its beginning in 1986, Artscape has become recognized as an international leader in creative placemaking, a practice that leverages the power of art, culture and creativity to catalyze change, growth and transformation in communities. Artscape achieves its mission through developing and managing 10 unique cultural facilities—including community cultural hubs, multi-purpose creative spaces and artist live/work projects—and by delivering programs and services that create the conditions for artists to thrive.
Every day, Artscape spaces come alive with the ideas and passion of the 116 organizations and 2,300+ people who work and/or live within our portfolio of buildings. Thirty-two public venues pulse with the energy of the 247,000+ people who take part in exhibitions and performances annually and the thousands more who participate in our programs, tenant-driven activities and city-wide events. Every year, we deliver a plethora of benefits including millions in economic savings to the community.
Over the past year these benefits included:
- $3.6 million in savings passed on to Artscape artists and organizations on annual commercial and residential occupancy costs
- Rental rates for artists and not-for-profit organizations 58% lower than gross average rates for commercial spaces in downtown and midtown
- Over $1 million in annual subsidies to community groups and not-for-profit organizations to access Artscape event venue spaces
Our success is driven by our ability to work effectively across disciplines to align values, leadership, investment and public policy. We work constantly to expand our portfolio, share our expertise and advance the field, offering training, mentoring and coaching, and learning opportunities through our Creative Placemaking Lab and tools and resources on ArtscapeDIY.ca.
Get all the details on upcoming creative placemaking initiatives in Momentum, our latest annual publication available on our website artscape.ca
SOURCE: Artscape Launchpad