FoodShare Toronto, Canada’s largest food security organization is looking for a visionary, experienced non-profit manager and social enterprise innovator to manage the organization, continuing and expanding FoodShare’s 31 year history of advocating for public policies and programs that improve access to healthy affordable food for those who currently experience the most food insecurity.
The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing the administration, programs, finances and fundraising of the organization. S/He establishes the organization’s goals, policies and strategic directions, and is responsible for the effective operation of the organization.
The Ideal Candidate
A dynamic individual and innovative thinker, the new Executive Director will bring vision and operational acuity to FoodShare. They will have a demonstrable record balancing operational requirements with commercial partnerships and social purpose innovation, within and outside an organization. The individual must be highly motivated to succeed for those FoodShare serves, and respectful of the existing culture that reflects FoodShare’s community. S/He will be collaborative, collegial, supportive and flexible in their approach
Key Areas of Responsibility
Strategy & Vision
- Build, review and renew strategies for all aspects of the organization including operations, fundraising, advocacy and partnerships.
- Execute and assist in further development of FoodShare’s short term and long term Strategic Plan.
- Promote and encourage a positive team environment to support creativity, initiative and growth in all staff members.
- Ensure the creation and implementation of annual work plans for key staff that integrate strategic directions with fiscal direction and human resources policies.
- Ensure a healthy work environment, the development of staff and volunteers and the successful management of the organization.
- Develop and implement effective systems of communication throughout the organization.
- Act as prime liaison in obtaining legal and financial advice consistent with Board approved policies.
- Building and maintaining strong relationships with partners, collaborating organizations, government agencies, funders and other stakeholders using a community development approach.
Advocacy & Media Relations
- Play an active role in advocacy and community relations.
- Acting as chief staff spokesperson for the organization with the media, government agencies, relevant community groups and others.
- Provide leadership to all aspects of fundraising ensuring that the planning and execution is adequate to provide for all aspects of the organization.
- Provide creative strategies and leadership to all aspects of fundraising, including from new sources, working with the staff to ensure that effective fund raising strategies are in place.
Financial Planning and Responsibility
- Create and responsibly manage annual budgets to adequately provide for the programs and the organization.
- Foster an environment of good internal control, accountability, and stewardship.
- Advising and supporting the Board of Directors in formulating strategic directions, organizational plans, and developing policy.
- As the Board’s official link to the operating organization, the Executive Director is accountable to the Board for all organizational performance, and exercises all authority transmitted to the organization by the Board.
- Strong administrative, planning, human resources and financial management experience gained through senior management positions.
- Outstanding Communicator.
- Experience in working with a board of directors, as well as experience in managing change at the staff, organizational and board level.
- Working collaboratively and developing consensus among diverse stakeholder groups. Strong government relations and community relations/outreach skills with the ability to form effective working partnerships.
- Knowledge of food related issues and experience with food is highly desirable.
- Interest in and knowledge of food justice and social justice issues is highly desirable.
- Excellent vision and the ability to identify potential long term opportunities and challenges, and to translate these challenges into sound and achievable strategic priorities and plans.
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal, team-building and verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively as a leader and a member of a multidisciplinary team.
Education and Experience
- College or University and Post Graduate Degree is an asset.
- Significant Senior Manager/Director experience.
- Project management training and/or certification.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power point).
- Bilingual (French/English) is an asset.
For More Information
Please apply with your resume to boardchair at foodshare.net by November 11, 2016. For more information click here to see the CharityVillage posting.
All Enquiries and Applications will be held in strict confidence. Due to the high number of applicants, only successful candidates will be contacted.
SOURCE: FoodShare Toronto