New Economy Coalition (NEC) is seeking a permanent Development Associate. The Development Associate plays a critical role in raising resources to sustain NEC’s work. Reporting to the Development Director, the Development Associate will have a leadership role in grants management, donor outreach and management, and overall department administration.
NEC is a coalition of 170+ organizations working to transform our economic system by advancing solutions that are participatory, just, and sustainable. Based in Boston, MA but made up of organizations from across the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom, NEC aims to spread a new story about whom the economy serves, to facilitate the development of economic alternatives, and to engage coalition members in creating the conditions for transformational change. Organizations in NEC include: the Working World, 350.org, Demos, Business Alliance For Local Living Economies (BALLE), Canadian Community Economic Development Network, US Federation Of Worker Cooperatives, Post Carbon Institute, the Institute for Policy Studies, and many more.
NEC aspires to be an inclusive and liberatory organization. We value having a diversity of life experiences and perspectives on our team. We strongly encourage applicants who identify as persons of color, women, and/or gender nonconforming to apply. We are an equal-opportunity employer.
Development Associate Responsibilities
- Assists Development Director in drafting grant proposals and letters of inquiry.
- Coordinates grant reporting, drafting reports and ensuring reporting deadlines are met.
- Maintains up-to-date and accurate grant information and documents, including budgets.
Individual Donor Administration
Coordinates fundraising email and mail campaigns under direction of Development Director, writing appeals, generating mailing lists, and managing bulk mailings and mass emails.
Sends timely donation acknowledgment letters.
- Works with Operations Manager and Development Director to ensure timely and accurate recording and processing of all donations.
- Works with Development Director to maintain accurate and up-to-date donor records in Salesforce database.
- Generates donation reports that the Development Director can use in monthly financial reporting to the board of directors.
Donor Outreach Materials
- Works with the Development Director and communications staff to create donor outreach materials, including an annual report and other media used to inform donors, such as videos, slideshows, and one-pagers.
Participation in Department and Organization Decision-making and Strategy
- Participates in all-staff meetings and projects, including attending 3 annual board of directors meetings.
- Provides input on department and organizational budgets and strategy, including by attending a periodic meeting of the board of directors’ External Affairs committee,
- Participates in other all-staff and departmental decisions.
The Development Associate will also be responsible for other tasks and projects, in accordance with departmental and organizational priorities and the Development Associate’s capacity and as determined collaboratively by the Development Associate and Development Director.
Applicants who are able to work from NEC’s main office in Boston, MA, are preferred, but remote applicants will be considered.
Qualifications and Experience
- Commitment to NEC’s mission and work.
- Demonstrated interest and experience in resourcing social change movements.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Meticulous attention to detail, excellent organizational skills, and ability to set up and follow systems allowing organized and efficient work flow.
- Ability to independently manage projects and meet deadlines.
- Commitment to doing excellent work, particularly in producing materials for donor outreach.
- Willingness to work in collaborative teams.
- Willingness to learn from mistakes, receive feedback, and give feedback to others.
- Willingness to propose and implement new ideas.
- Commitment to building a culture of mutual accountability, liberation, and respect.
- Sense of humor.
Start Date: We aim to make a hiring decision by December 15, 2016, with a start date of January 2, 2016.
Education Requirements: We will consider a candidate's full range of educational, professional, and life-experience. We do not require that candidates possess any specific degrees or levels of formal educational attainment.
Employment Type: Part-time (~32hr/wk) with the potential to move to full-time (~40hr/wk)
Salary: Between $33,000 and $36,000 annually (part-time, ~32hr/wk)
How to Apply
Please email jamie at neweconomy.net (1) your resume and (2) a cover letter explaining why you are interested in and what experiences, skills, and qualities make you a fit for the position. Please use the following format when naming these files: Your First and Last Name - Resume; Your First and Last Name - Cover Letter. Please attach your resume and cover letter as Word documents or PDFs. Please also include your first and last name and "Development Associate Position" in the subject of the email.
Application Deadline: November 7, 2016
SOURCE: New Economy Coalition