COMMUNITY FUTURES BRITISH COLUMBIA
“Leadership, Advocacy, Stewardship”
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR JOB DESCRIPTION
Reporting to an engaged and informed Board of Directors, you are accountable for the overall leadership of Community Futures British Columbia, including, development and implementation of strategic plans, initiatives and directions established by the Board. In conjunction with the Board Chair you will serve as the voice for the BC CF Network to internal and external stakeholders.
Primary responsibilities of the Executive Director include, but are not limited to the following:
- Effectively articulates the vision and mission of CFBC;
- Liaison with and support the members of the BC CF Network;
- Liaison with members of the Western Canada Business Service Network (WCBSN), government agencies and organizations involved in activities to expand the outreach and impact of CF programs in British Columbia;
- Be recognized as a respected voice and thought leader in regards to small business and community economic development in rural British Columbia;
- A visionary leader who identifies and acts on opportunities for the BC CF Network to foster business success and increased prosperity for rural BC;
- Liaison with other Community Futures Organizations in Western Canada and be an active participant at the Pan West table;
- Participates with the Board of Directors in developing a mission, vision, value statement and strategic plan to guide the organization;
- Acts as an advisor to the Board of Director on all aspects of the organization's activities;
- Provides coaching and support to BC CF Network Boards and Management;
- Motivates, inspires, influences and earns respect that fosters effective team work between the Executive Director, the Board and between the Executive Director and staff;
- Maintains a cohesive, collaborative and effective leadership team;
- Acting honestly and in good faith, fosters an environment conducive for Board and Staff to reach organizational goals;
- Demonstrates resourcefulness, initiative and leads change;
- Makes timely, analytical and thoughtful decisions that are respected by others;
- In addition to the Chair of the Board, act as a spokesperson for the organization.
- Represent BC CF Network on the Board of Community Futures Pan- West Network and Community Futures Network of Canada;
- Report to and liaison with Western Economic Diversification, British Columbia Region and Western Economic Diversification, Headquarters;
- Communicate with stakeholders to keep them informed of the work of the CFBC and to identify changes in the communities served by the BC CF Network;
- Establish good working relationships and collaborative arrangements with funders, politicians, and other organizations to help achieve goals of the organization.
Stewardship Community relations
- Demonstrates ability to be objective and balanced in dealing with issues;
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely to get thoughts across both verbally and in writing;
- Listens well and uses feedback skills and organized communications to get messages delivered and understood;
- Communicate with stakeholders to keep them informed of the work of the organization and to identify changes in the community served by the organization;
- Establish good working relationships and collaborative arrangements with funders, politicians, and other organizations to help achieve the goals of the organization.
Operational planning and management
- Develop an operation plan which incorporates goals, objectives and strategies;
- Ensure appropriate monitoring, analysis, documentation and reporting;
- Draft and implement policies and procedures for approval by the Board and review existing policies on an annual basis. Recommend changes to the Board as appropriate;
- Provide support to the Board by preparing meeting agendas and supporting materials as required.
Program planning and management
- Oversee the planning, implementation and evaluation of the organization's programs and services;
- Ensure the programs and services offered by the organization contribute to the organization's mission and reflect the priorities of the Board;
- Monitor the day-to-day delivery of the programs and services of the organization to maintain or improve quality;
- Oversee the planning, implementation, execution and evaluation of special projects;
- Provide training and professional growth opportunities to staff and volunteers of the BC CF Network;
- Assess the need for and ensure, effective delivery of a program of professional development for all operational staff;
- Assist the BC CF network in developing best practices and implement strategies that will result in effective board succession planning and board development;
- Oversee the coordination of, and support for, the CFBC Committees;
- Provide technical assistance to provincial community economic development partners and organizations that serve small and medium sized business and entrepreneurs, as required;
- Maintain awareness of small business management, lending and collection practices, corporation management and community economic development (with focus on rural economic diversification) information;
- Maintain contacts within all levels of government regarding access to government programs, providing advisory assistance and seeking out new opportunities;
- Liaison with employment, education, and financial agencies in the province to keep informed of economic conditions and opportunities, and to maintain a referral network to the benefit of the BC CF Network.
Human resources planning and management
- Determine staffing requirements for organizational management;
- Oversee the implementation of the Human Resources Policy, procedures and practices including development of job descriptions for all staff;
- Establish a positive, healthy and safe work environment in accordance with all appropriate legislation and regulations;
- Recruit, interview and select staff to ensure they possess the appropriate abilities to help further the organization's mission;
- Ensure all staff receives an orientation to the organization and create opportunities for professional development training;
- Ensure personnel, client and volunteer files are securely stored and privacy/confidentiality is maintained;
- Implement a performance management process for all staff which includes monitoring the performance of staff on an on-going basis and conducting an annual performance review;
- Coach and mentor staff to facilitate career development.
Financial planning and management
- Approve expenditures within the authority delegated by the Board;
- Ensure sound bookkeeping and accounting procedures are established and followed;
- Administer the funds of the organization according to the approved budget and monitor the monthly cash flow of the organization;
- Provide the Board with comprehensive, regular reports on the revenues and expenditure of the organization;
- Ensure the organization complies with all legislation covering taxation and withholding payments;
- Prepare and execute financials, including annual budget for Board approval to ensure financial accountability and transparency for the organization to all levels of government;
- Oversee management of the CFBC pooled loan funds (the BC Futures Fund).
- Identify and evaluate the risks to the organization's people (clients, staff, management, volunteers), property, finances, goodwill, and image and implement measures to control risks;
- Ensure the Board of Directors and the organization carries appropriate and adequate insurance coverage and coverage is communicated to the Board;
- Ensure appropriate succession planning is undertaken and policy regarding same has been adopted by the Board.
Marketing & Visibility
- Publicize the services of the CF Program and more specifically the awareness and promotion of services provided by the BC CF Network;
- Ensure information of CFBC services and services of the BC CF Network is readily available to the members and public via the CFBC web page and social media tools;
- Implement provincial marketing strategies and assist at the local level where appropriate;
- Oversee the effective implementation and reporting of all marketing and visibility initiatives.
Alignment with Government of Canada and WD Current Priorities:
- Ensure ongoing awareness and understanding of current government and departmental priorities;
- Provide ongoing support to members of the BC CF Network in the development and implementation of programming and strategies that support WD priorities, as identified in the Operations Plan each fiscal year.