Job Title : Manager, Safety, Health and Occupational Wellness
The Manager of Safety, Health and Occupational Wellness is accountable for providing operational leadership and strategic direction for the corporate disability management and safety programs, and occupational health and wellness services. This position will strategically engage the Senior Management Team in trends and cost implications in order to influence organizational change, drive results and embed accountability throughout the organization, and will ensure that the mandate of the branch is supportive of the organizations objectives and is achievable within the scope of authority.
As the Manager, Safety, Health and Occupational Wellness you will:
- Develop and identify corporate performance measures/metrics tools, track cost/benefits and support management accountability.
- Collect, review, and analyze data around current/forecasted costs/expenses (i.e. WCB, medical/safety expenses), statistics, and trends related to safety, health, and occupational wellness.
- Integrate preventative and proactive return to work and safety practices into existing and new processes that will reduce overall costs and expenses organizationally (i.e WCB, accommodation timelines/return to work processes), reduce the length of time employees are away from work, reduce safety incidents/hazards, etc. while ensuring organizational processes are in line with legislative requirements and industry best practices.
- Review and analyze current safety, health and wellness contracts, and vendors to ensure they are meeting desired need and assess overall effectiveness. Manage existing and proposed/future contracts, and vendor management.
- Proactively identify & rectify issues, weaknesses, and concerns with existing and/or in process programs, policies, and procedures by maintaining current knowledge of industry best practices, decisions derived from grievance hearings, arbitrations, case law, data collection, metric reporting, etc.
- Lead the strategic planning to address systematic issues and the results of program evaluation recommendations and future needs to maintain overall program efficiency.
- Provide financial and operational leadership to and direct the day-to-day activities of the Branch.
- Ensure service level requirements are met and proactively identify changes/organizational gaps that will reduce costs/expense and ensure fiscally responsible decisions/changes are being made that are in the best interest of the City.
Your education and experience includes:
- Successful completion of a Bachelor's Degree in a related field such as Social, Behavioural Sciences, Commerce, Bachelor of Nursing, Occupational Health, Public Health, etc. or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
- Extensive experience holding progressively responsible positions as a Human Resource professional and/or disability management professional with expertise in a wide range of complex disability and WCB claims/accommodation cases and workplace safety and health practices and processes.
- Significant experience with, and extensive knowledge of, complex disability management, occupational health safety, and employee wellness along with the ability to recognize significant developments, trends, and issues.
- In-depth understanding of Health & Safety legislation, Human Rights Law, PHIA, FIPPA, Reasonable Accommodation, Employment Standards, and Labour Law and current and emerging practices and standards.
- Experience working with HRIS and ERP systems for the use of data entry and metric reporting/running queries/reports.
- Strong consulting and customer service skills with the ability to collaborate and build strong relationships with key stakeholders.
- Previous experience providing leadership and direction to others in a unionized environment including organizing and leading workgroups and project teams in change management, encouraging team collaboration/cohesion, and managing the work performance of others.
Conditions of employment:
- Applicants are required to include a cover letter and resume with their application.
- Applicants may be required to undergo testing to determine their knowledge, abilities and skills as they relate to the qualifications of the position.
- A Criminal Record Check satisfactory to the employer will be required from the applicant(s) or successful candidate(s), at their expense.
If you are interested in this exciting opportunity, please submit your application, including a detailed resume, online at winnipeg.ca/hr. OR, by mail quoting Posting #:115025 Manager, Safety, Health and Occupational Wellness by March 1, 2017 to: Recruitment Clerk, Corporate Support Services, 5th Floor, 510 Main Street.
The salary range for this position is $3,225.40 - $4,338.55 bi-weekly.
We have great benefits and competitive salaries, and we are committed to ongoing learning and career development!
For more information on this opportunity and other careers within the City, visit: www.winnipeg.ca/hr
WE SEEK DIVERSITY IN OUR WORKPLACE. INDIGENOUS PERSONS, WOMEN, VISIBLE MINORITIES, AND PERSONS WITH A DISABILITY ARE ENCOURAGED TO SELF-DECLARE.
Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Requests for Reasonable Accommodation will be accepted during the hiring process