Cando is a National non-profit Indigenous community-based organization that devotes its activities towards building and strengthening Indigenous economies, providing education, professional development, and networking opportunities for Economic Development Officers (EDOs) working in Indigenous communities or organizations. It is often noted not enough people know about Cando and its products and services. One of the most important goals that the new Communications Officer will be tasked with is to get Cando’s name to a level of familiarity so that Cando becomes a house-hold name for Economic Development Officers across Canada.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Communications Officer will be responsible for creating, implementing and overseeing communications programs, be it internal or external, that effectively and consistently describe and promote Cando’s services, programs and mission. The Communication Officer will perform a variety of tasks, such as the creation and development of print and online advertising, email marketing, website content development, press releases, corporate videos and marketing collateral, assist with marketing budget development and cost tracking.
KEY FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Create content for marketing materials (flyers, brochures, press releases) and Cando website
- Assist with production of Cando Connect Magazine (published quarterly) and Cando (e) Connect News (electronic monthly newsletter)
- Support and grow the organization’s membership, creating marketing collateral that will encourage an economic development career path for Aboriginal youth
- Support brand development with the intent of telling the organizations’ story relevant to a variety of audiences
- Maintain Cando’s social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, etc)
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- A degree or diploma in English, Journalism, Marketing or Communications
- Relevant experience in a related field
- Previous experience working in an Indigenous organization is a definite asset
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ATTITUDE REQUIRED
- Must be a confident communicator and presenter
- Strong writing, editing, proofreading, layout and design, printing/publishing skills are essential, including ability to present concepts verbally
- Strong knowledge and understanding of current trends in digital media/social media
- Strong organizational, time management and prioritization skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Self-motivated with ability to work independently and in a team environment
- A wide degree of creativity and latitude
- Friendly, open and receptive personality
Salary is commensurate with education and related experience. Relocation costs (if applicable) are the responsibility of the successful applicant.
Please note this is a full-time position located in Edmonton, Alberta.
Deadline for applications: March 17, 2017
Please forward your cover letter & resume to the attention of Svitlana Konoval, Manager - Administrative Services at svitlana.konoval @ edo.ca.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.