The Very READ-y Project (VRP), an Integrated Early Years Family Literacy Initiative, addresses the significant community and educational issue of school readiness in the Point Douglas Community Area. Using the combined expertise of Bookmates Inc., a family literacy organization, and Manidoo Gi Miini Gonaan Inc., a multi-site early learning child care centre, with funding from The Winnipeg Foundation, the project seeks to support the early learning community, engage families in literacy and learning activities and prepare more children for their first day of kindergarten.
Specific goals include building relationships with the early learning community and service providers in Point Douglas, offering training in speech-language and literacy programs, providing peer networking opportunities, reaching families at centres and community events, building a volunteer component, and seeking partnerships and other funding to enhance the project.
To work with Bookmates’ staff, volunteers and community partners (early learning centres and organizations in the Point Douglas area) to support and expand programming available for parents and caregivers of children from birth to 5 years of age.
- Have a clear understanding of and commitment to the goals of the Project
- Network and share resources with early learning childcare centers, school family rooms, family resource centres and community organizations
- Work on community outreach initiatives and programming options
- Organize and attend regular peer networking meetings
- Recruit and supervise volunteers
- Support staff and volunteers delivering programming at centres
- Build relationships with community partners and families
- Promote the project and family literacy at community events and on social media
- Participate in the completion of grant reports and proposals
- Maintain appropriate work habits and confidentiality
- Other duties as assigned
- Background in Early Childhood Education and/or family literacy, with a minimum of 2 years experience preferred
- Experience in volunteer management, outreach and community development an asset
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Demonstrated skills in priority setting, decision making and time management
- Demonstrated networking skills and knowledge of community based organizations in the
- Point Douglas neighbourhood
- Ability to work independently and with other staff and volunteers
- Good understanding of family literacy and early learning education and programs with a willingness to learn more
- Willing to learn about and take training in Bookmates’ family literacy programs and the Moe the Mouse speech language program
- Strong understanding of and respect for diverse cultures
- A valid driver’s license and use of personal vehicle is required
HOURS OF WORK
- Approximately 21-28 hours per week, to be negotiated
This is a 1 year term (April 2017 to March 31, 2018) contract
Please send applications to Bookmates at bookmate at mts.net or to:
623 Erin St, Winnipeg, MB
Application deadline is April 14, 2017
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those under consideration for an interview will be contacted.