Daniel McIntyre | St. Matthews Community Association (DMSMCA) is a non-profit, community renewal organization serving two inner city neighbourhoods in Winnipeg. We are seeking an Executive Director to provide organizational leadership, including management of staff, programs, building, and finances, under the direction of the community’s 5-year plans and Board of Directors. This person will be driven to work towards positive change in our neighbourhoods, rooted within a community development approach, and will work to build sustainability for the organization.
The ideal candidate will have substantial experience in non-profit management, team building, community development
work, facilitation of meetings and events, and a sensitivity to the historical, demographic, social and economic realities
of our neighbourhood.
Our vision is to take a holistic community approach that encompasses environmental sustainability, social justice and
community development towards the issues of neighbourhood wellbeing, safety, greening and environment. We
provide tools and resources, organise and empower residents and build stronger ties between people, connecting them
with their community and the environment. We work with residents and stakeholders towards the social, cultural,
economic and environmentally sustainable renewal and revitalization of the Daniel McIntyre / St. Matthews
Staff, Volunteer & Organization Management
- Oversees the day-to-day operation and business of DMSMCA;
- Ensures organization direction and the development of strategies to achieve vision and 5-year community plan;
- Ensures a healthy, positive and safe work environment for all;
- Ensures staff are appropriately supported, encouraged and compensated;
- Oversees the recruitment, training and supervision of all DMSMCA staff and volunteers;
- Ensures the physical assets of the building are in proper maintenance, safe use of facilitates, furniture, and equipment, along with promoting and managing tenants renting offices.
- Supports staff and volunteers to provide programming and services in the following areas: Housing, Safety & Wellbeing, Community Economic Development, Greening & Environment, Communication, and Governance;
- Ensures that programming reflects Community Economic Development (CED) principles of building on community assets, supporting community leadership and working together;
- Ensures that programming is designed by and relevant to the community;
- Ensures programming is safe, properly supported and well integrated into other resources and supports in the neighbourhood;
- Ensures that programming aligns with and is supported by HR and governing policies of the organization, as well as community plans.
Financial Management, Funder Relations, and Fundraising
- Obtains and maintains funding support for organisational needs. This includes developing and implementing fundraising strategies with support from the Board of Directors, managing funder relations, proposal development, efficient and timely reporting and other duties associated with maintaining organizational funding;
- Develops and oversees implementation of tools or systems for effective evaluation and reporting on deliverables;
- Manages, supervises and/or delegates the day-to-day financial matters and works to ensure that sound bookkeeping and accounting procedures are followed.
Community Planning, Communication, and Board Relations
- Ensures that the organization represents the neighbourhoods in all ways;
- Ensures community plans are implemented and followed through programs and community partnerships;
- Represents DMSMCA to various community, government and partnership organizations and the media as needed;
- Supports staff to communicate organizational programming and news through newsletters, community papers, website, social media, etc.;
- Ensures strong communications with the Board of Directors, including regular reporting and implementation of board decisions.
Qualification and Skills/Experience:
- Bachelor or Masters Degree in a relevant field and/or work experience in community development;
- Demonstrated ability to lead an organization, manage staff and implement organizational vision;
- Proven experience in managing finances, securing funding and maintaining positive relationships with government and private funders;
- Positive leadership skills and ability to maintain a positive working environment, encourage staff and maintain positive board relations;
- Proven experience delivering results on time and on budget;
- Strong collaboration and networking skills, including experience working with government, media, and community partners;
- Knowledge of and experience in Community Development and Community Economic Development;
- Ability or experience working with diverse populations and historically marginalized populations;
- Knowledge of the Daniel McIntyre St. Matthews Community (preference given to DM/SM residents);
- Strong organisational skills, analytical, written and verbal communication skills, and computer capability.
Salaried, depending on experience.
Hours of Work:
Full-time hours; some evening and weekend hours required. This is a term position until March 31, 2018, to be
October 16, 2017
DMSMCA is an equity employer; people of colour, of Aboriginal descent, are newcomers to Canada
and/or live in the inner city are encouraged to apply.
Please email resume and cover letter by Friday, September 1st, 2017 4 pm to:
Personnel Committee, DMSMCA Board of Directors
Email: dmsmcaboard at gmail.com
Thank you to all those who apply, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.