Under the supervision of the Director of Finance, the Bookkeeper is a competent individual who will support the organization’s financial portfolio, currently comprised of over 43 funding sources, to a combined approximate budget of $4.3 million. This staff is a detail oriented, efficient and resourceful individual with strong interpersonal, organizational and administrative skills, able to meet the challenges of working with a culturally diverse team. The ideal candidate will be able to multi-task in a fast paced environment prioritizing tasks and executing them to a high degree of accuracy.
The objective of the Bookkeeper position is to ensure effective, efficient and accurate operations of IRCOM Inc. and IRCOM House Inc. accounts through the support of the Director of Finance and the senior management team. This position provides crucial human resource support to the organization by overseeing and administering the Group Insurance Plan, Employee Records, and providing through and knowledgeable information to staff. The Bookkeeper is part of IRCOM’s financial controls and ensures accuracy of information entered into our accounting system. Furthermore, at times the Bookkeeper is responsible for providing back-up reception services to the organization. This position is integral to the success of IRCOM.
- Process and oversee IRCOM’s payroll
- Process and oversee IRCOM’s petty cash system
- Handle calls and correspondence related to Accounts Payable / Receivable
- Accurately record and double check staff time sheets, holiday accruals, banked time accruals and sick time accruals on a bi-weekly basis
- Alert supervisors when staff exceed policy limits related to bank time, sick time, etc.
- Administer accounts payable / receivable and prepare cheques for signing
- Prepare deposits and provide to Director of Finance for review
- Ensure financial controls are adhered to, double checking all cheques requests against accompanying documents
- Assist with preparation / analyzing monthly financial statements including program reports
- Assist with maintenance of SAGE 50 records (revenues, journal entries, payroll)
- Assist with preparation of reports to funders and / or donors
- Assist with preparation of financial records for audits and financial reviews
- Assist with invoicing for services rendered
- Be familiar with the financial control aspects of the IRCOM Risk Management Plan, as shared by the Executive Director
- Under the direction of the Director of Finance, implement new procedures to mitigate risk
- Track and reconcile the corporate credit cards
- Monitor corporate credit card use / limits and recommend changes to Director of Finance
- Be familiar with organizational budget, coding, expense eligibility and flag discrepancies
Human Resource Support
- Draft letters of correspondence on behalf of IRCOM Inc. related to employment, payroll, etc.
- Set up new staff with employment related forms (tax forms, files, security checks, confidentiality, conflict of interest, etc.)
- Create and manage Employee Records and ensure that all needed documents are in place
- Gain comprehensive understanding of the Group Insurance Plan and administer the plan
- Gain comprehensive understanding of IRCOM’s HR policies
- Act as the IRCOM Privacy Officer under relevant legislation (i.e. PHIA, FIPPA)
- Reception coverage as required
- Monthly reports to supervisor
- Other duties as assigned
- Education in a relevant field such as Business Administration or Bookkeeping or equivalent experience
- Expert level knowledge and a high degree of proficiency of SAGE 50 and MS Excel
- Experience in a non-profit accounting setting, tracking multiple funds
- Meticulous attention to detail and the ability to deal with constantly changing requirements and priorities
- Superior organizational skills
- Strong written and oral English communication skills
- Demonstrated experience working in a fast paced, multi-tasking environment
- Strong inter-personal skills
- For more information about employment at IRCOM and key qualifications and qualities we seek in all candidates, please see: http://www.ircom.ca/about-us/employmentopportunities/
Hours of work
This is a full-time position for a maximum of 37.5 hours per week. The Bookkeeper’s hours will take place during IRCOM business hours between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday. Overtime work is compensated by time and a half off, and must be authorized by the Executive Director or designate.
- The salary scale for this position starts at $34,300 per annum.
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
Submitting an Application
To apply, please submit your cover letter and résumé by Wednesday, October 11th, 2017 at 5 pm to:
Selection Committee: Bookkeeper
Immigrant & Refugee Community Organization of Manitoba Inc.
95 Ellen Street
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3A 1S8
Email: admin at ircom.ca
IRCOM is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Interested applicants can identify themselves are belonging in any of the following groups: women, Indigenous People, refugees, immigrants, visible minorities, persons with a disability, or any other group that are typically underrepresented in the workplace.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. Your cover letter and résumé must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.