Position: New Economy Coalition Development Director
Location: Boston, MA area preferred; other locations in the US & Canada considered
Time Commitment: Full Time Salaried Position
Start Date: January 2018
The Development Director oversees all fundraising and revenue-generating activities for the organization. Along with the Executive Director and Board, this position is responsible for meeting NEC’s annual budget needs and ensuring successful fundraising. With the Executive Director and other director-level staff, the Development Director is a member of the Staff Leadership Team which oversees management of the organization.
Major gift and foundation cultivation and solicitation
- Work with Board and staff to identify prospects.
- Support Executive Director in cultivating relationships with foundations and major donors,
- researching prospects, developing talking points, and drafting correspondence.
- Work with Executive Director to involve other staff and Board in funder cultivation and solicitation.
- Lead the design and management of at least two campaigns per year soliciting individual donations, through crowdfunding and direct mail.
Engaging board and staff in a culture of giving.
- Lead monthly staff development meetings to give fundraising updates and determine fundraising strategy.
- Involve board and staff in long-term fundraising planning through meetings and retreats.
- Lead trainings for staff and board on outreach to potential donors.
- Involve staff and board in individual fundraising campaigns.
- Support a board committee supporting fundraising efforts.
- Regularly reach out to board with updates on fundraising progress and to ask for assistance regarding foundation and major gift prospects.
- Collaborate with Events Manager to organize development parties and events.
- Identify and solicit sponsorships for major conferences and events.
- Lead research and prospecting to identify new potential funders.
- Collaborate with Communications department, staff, and board to create consistent messaging about NEC programs.
- Oversee writing and timely submission of letters of inquiry, funding proposals, and grant reports.
- Oversee effective development-related email and mail outreach to supporters.
- Lead creation of compelling development-related copy, including grants, reports, letters, emails, Annual Report, and other materials.
- Develop and maintain effective systems for tracking donors, prospects, and other organizational contacts, including the Salesforce or NEON database.
- Ensure timely processing, recording, and acknowledgment of donations.
- Lead the development of long-term fundraising plans, to be refined in consultation with staff and board.
- Manage Events Manager and Development Associate.
- Participate in organizational leadership as a member of the Staff Leadership Team.
- Ensure all staff and board understand fundraising and budget needs of the organization as related to programmatic goals and priorities.
- Participate in other organizational leadership, including committees and task forces, as needed.
- Work with finance manager to support cash flow and financial management of the organization.
The Development Director reports to the Executive Director and supervises the Events Manager.
To apply, please submit resume, cover letter, and a brief writing sample by December 10, 2017 using this form: