Start Date Feb - Apr 2018(flexible)
Length of Placement 9-12 Months
Language Requirements Spanish
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
The Volunteer’s Role
ANDI, Asociacion Nacional de Industriales (National Association of Manufacturers of Honduras) is a non-profit entrepreneurial organization that was created to represent and assist the industrial sector at a national level. The organization ensures the rights of the industrial sector and promotes solutions to problems that affect their development in one way or another. ANDI achieves these goals through the integration, enhancing of capabilities and increase market penetration of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises. The organization also focuses on youth and creating opportunities for young people to participate in entrepreneurship and possibly generate larger revenues.
Your overall purpose as the Organizational Development & Strengthening Advisor, would be to support and strengthen the work of ANDI regarding value chains in Honduras. This will be done by developing approaches and mechanisms to improve management capacity and researching project opportunities and development of value chains. In your role, you will also collaborate with stakeholders to create value chains that result in more equitable benefits for everyone, including women and youth.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Develop value chain approaches and mechanisms to improve the management capacity through research and analysis
- Assess project opportunities and development of value chains
- Contribute to the promotion and coordination of the development of value chains and links to building inclusive business efficiency and quality in the given value chain
- Collaborate with stakeholders through training on the subject of value chains in order to build a strong interest in establishing a more profitable chain and equitable sharing of benefits, including women and youths
- Contribute to the coordination of the volunteer program that Cuso International Honduras is and/or plan to develop with ANDI (our partner)
- Support other Cuso International partners with regards to value chains as well as other activities assigned
Essential Academic Qualifications:
- University degree or equivalent experience in economic development, private sector development, social business development in line with Cuso International’s mission and programs
Essential Professional Background:
- At least 5 years of work experience in value chains.
- Experience and strong track record as a value chain advisor with alongside donor-funded programs supporting value chain actors and market systems.
- Experience in dealing with actors at all levels in value chains, including farmers, processors, input suppliers and service providers.
- Experience in project management, proposal writing, project and work planning, monitoring & evaluation and reporting.
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation