About the Position
This position offers a firsthand experience in small-scale farm management and is primarily geared towards young people with strong background in organic agriculture who are interested in learning more about the management aspects of running a small farm. The apprentice will have the opportunity to manage crops, lead teams of volunteers and interns, and deepen their understanding of the relationship between urban and rural food systems, all within a mentorship framework.
Under the guidance of the permanent farm team, the apprentice will contribute to the successful management of the peri-urban farm according to the farm's needs and in relation with the seasons. Their tasks may include any activities required to run the farm, such as:
- Field and greenhouse bed preparation
- Seedlings, transplantation and direct seeding
- Assuring proper crop maintenance (weeding, pest control, staking, pruning, thinning, etc.)
- Harvesting, preparation, distribution and marketing of farm produce
- Keeping both quantitative and qualitative records
- Coordinating and mentoring part-time farm interns and/or volunteers
- Participating in Santropol Roulant daily life, including occasional meetings, events, etc.
- Communicating news from the farm to the broader Santropol Roulant membership
- Giving workshops and farm tours
We are looking for candidates with the following interests, skills and experience:
- Minimum 2 years’ experience with small-scale intensive organic vegetable production
- Ability to work independently, take initiative and assume responsibility
- Capacity for physical labour and working outdoors in all types of weather
- Experience working in a mentoring/teaching capacity
- A valid driver's license, and experience with tractor work is an asset
- Willingness to work occasional weekends and off hours
- Familiarity with Santropol Roulant's Urban and Peri-Urban Agriculture Program, as well as the West Island agricultural community is an asset
- Basic oral bilingualism (French/English) is required, written communication skills an asset
This is a 6-month position beginning April 23th and ending November 2nd with an hourly wage of $12.67. The apprentice will work primarily a Monday to Friday schedule, but should expect to work the occasional weekend in rotation with other members of the farm team with take-back the subsequent week. Please note that commuting to the farm daily during the summertime may be time consuming for those who do not live in the area.
As an organization that works to break social and economic isolation and bring people together across social barriers, Santropol Roulant recognizes that people who experience structural oppression and marginalization have a lot to offer our community, and we strongly encourage applicants from these demographics to apply. Our primary office space is step-free and has an accessible washroom, but our second floor and basement are not wheelchair accessible. Please contact Jamiey if you have any questions about the accessibility of our work area or your participation in an interview process.
To apply, please drop off or email your CV and cover letter addressed to the Hiring Committee at 111 Roy East or rh at santropolroulant.org by Friday, March 2nd at 9am. Only candidates who are chosen for an interview will be contacted. You can reach us at 514-284-9335 with any questions or clarifications.