About the position
The internships are envisioned as a learning opportunity in urban agriculture and food security within a com-munity organisation. It is designed for young students who like to gain on the job experience in organic urban agriculture. The interns will have the opportunity to learn garden upkeep, lead groups of volunteers and deepen their understanding of urban and peri-urban food systems.
Under the supervision of the Urban Agriculture Manager, the interns will contribute actively to support the management of the urban gardens and its activities. Their tasks will vary through the seasons and will include all the necessary activities needed for the functioning of the urban agriculture program such as:
- Contributing to the rooftop garden and the Terrasses Roy preparation
- Contributing to garden upkeep (caring for seedlings, transplantations and direct seeding, weeding, pest control, staking, pruning, thinning, etc.)
- Harvesting, preparing, distribution and storage of the vegetables
- Volunteer coordination and support so they contribute in a significant way to the gardens
- Co-creation and co-facilitation of workshops and garden visits
- Occasionally, participate in farm activities and visits
- Participation in day-to-day activities of Santropol Roulant, including staff meeting and events, etc.
- And all others related activities needed for the well being of the urban agriculture program
We are looking for candidates with the following skills, interests and experiences
- Interest for urban agriculture and food security
- Sense of initiative, capacity to work independently and handle responsibilities
- Comfortable with outdoor physical work, in variable weather conditions
- Experience with volunteers and workshops animation is an asset
- Available to work on weekends and outside of regular work hours, depending on the seasonal needs
- Understanding of Santropol Roulant’s urban and peri-urban agriculture is an asset
- A base oral bilingualism (English / French) is required, and developed written communication skills is an asset
The two internships are full time paid positions for 13 weeks (35 hours weekly) at $13.05/hour. (Either from May 8 to August 4 and the other one from June 12 to September 8).
The interns will work primarily from Tuesday to Saturday. The candidates must be between 15 and 30 years old, have been a student during the last semester of winter 2018, be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or have a refugee status in Canada.
As an organization that works to break social and economic isolation and bring people together across so-cial barriers, Santropol Roulant recognizes that people who experience structural oppression and marginali-zation have a lot to offer to our community. Our primary office space is step free and has an accessible washroom, the second floor and a part of the rooftop garden is accessible through an elevator and the base-ment and the other part of the rooftop garden is not wheelchair accessible.
To apply, please drop or email your CV and cover letter addressed to the Hiring Committee at 111 Roy East or at rh at santropolroulant.org by Friday April 13th at 9am. Only candidates who are chosen for an inter-view will be contacted. You can reach us at 514-284-9335 with any questions or clarifications.