Driver - After School Program (ASP)
Casual, Part-time position
Guided by the vision, mission, and values of the Immigrant and Refugee Community Organization of Manitoba Inc. (IRCOM), the Driver serves After School Program (ASP) participants by:
- transporting them safely to and from programs,
- maintaining the vehicles in good working condition,
- managing records, and
- supporting the ASP and IRCOM team
Reporting to the ASP Co-Managers, this role supports the children and youth to access and safely participate in off-site After School programs. This role requires the ability to safely operate and maintain 7 and 12 passenger vans in and around Winnipeg in all weather conditions. The Driver will exhibit and uphold IRCOM’s core values of integration, diversity, advocacy and empowerment, and they will work in a way that is people-centered, holistic and partnership based.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Transport Program Participants (45%)
- Assist children and youth participants and other passengers to safely enter, sit securely, and exit vehicle during normal transport and emergency situations
- Provide a safe, calm and positive atmosphere for all passengers
- Drop off children and youth at their home addresses after program and ensure they are received by their families
- Maintain strict attention to program schedules, schedule changes, driving conditions, etc. and ensure vehicle is ready for use 15 minutes prior to boarding
Safe Vehicle Operation (10%)
- Instruct passengers on road and safety regulations and ensure compliance with all safety practices
- Adhere to all applicable traffic laws, including seat belt usage, speed limits, school zones, vehicle capacity, etc.
- Conduct and complete daily pre-trip and post-trip vehicle inspection (fluid levels, tire pressure, exterior condition)
Records Management (10%)
- Ensure each vehicle's maintenance log book is current and records trip details (mileage, passengers), fuel and maintenance information, incidents, inspections, etc.
- Monitor behaviour of children and youth and report concerns or incidents in writing to Co-Managers
- Retain and submit all vehicle related expense receipts
Vehicle Maintenance (20%)
- Maintain interior and exterior condition of assigned vehicles in safe, operational, attractive and clean manner
- Schedule and ensure annual vehicle safety audits are completed and any required repairs are completed
- Ensure vehicles are parked in assigned spaces
Team & Interdepartmental Support (10%)
- Monitor and respond to e-mail and other IRCOM and ASP team communication channels
- Engage in ongoing professional development to maintain skills and meet professional driving requirements
- Follow all applicable IRCOM policies and procedures
- Advise ASP Co-Managers of changes to road and safety regulations
- Perform other duties as assigned by Co-Manager or designate
Program Support (5%)
- Assist ASP staff to organize and supervise children and youth both on and off site
- Be a positive adult role model to children and youth
- Valid Class 4 (or higher) Manitoba Driver’s Licence
- Clear driving record
- Experience driving in all weather conditions
- Good working knowledge of Winnipeg streets
- On call availability for evenings and weekends
- Access to reliable cell-phone
- Prior experience providing light vehicle maintenance
- Strong written and oral English communication skills
- Demonstrated commitment to supporting and empowering the newcomer community through previous volunteering / community involvement
- Must undergo Criminal Record Check, as well as have a clear Child Abuse Registry Check
- Demonstrate the qualities and values IRCOM seeks for all our staff (see http://www.ircom.ca/about-us/employmentopportunities/
- Experience managing groups of children or youth
- Experience in working with children or youth with disabilities
- Fluency in additional languages
- CPR/First Aid and NVCI training
Hours of work
This is an casual, on-call position that will also provide vacation relief for the permanent Driver.
Hours of work will be between 4 and 10 p.m. Monday to Friday with occasional weekend work.
Application Process: All applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Employment Equity is a factor in selection. Applicants are requested to indicate in their covering letter or résumé if they are from any of the following groups: women, Indigenous people, refugees, immigrants, visible minorities and/or persons with a disability.
For further information, or to apply for this position please use the contact information below. When applying, please note that your cover letter and résumé must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Applications must be submitted by 12 pm noon, Friday, April 19, 2019 to:
HR - Selection Committee
95 Ellen Street
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3A 1S8
Email: hr at ircom.ca
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.