Position: Executive Director
Status: Full-time, Permanent
For over 30 years, A-Way has successfully supported the recovery for survivors of mental health challenges through the delivery of specialized health services and programs.
Mental health is influenced by many factors including life experiences, workplace environments and the social and economic conditions that shape our lives. These social and economic conditions are called the social determinants of health and are some of the most important factors that impact on mental and physical health. A-Way offers wrap around support programs that help our participants in sustaining employment, health and housing.
The Board of Directors for A-Way Express is seeking an Executive Director. This role is central to the successful operation of A-Way Express, which has recently partnered with Fred Victor for mutual benefit.
The Executive Director leads A-Way Express according to the strategic direction set by the Board of Directors, directs the delivery of health based programming, oversees the expansion of the social enterprise through the development of new partnership initiatives and leads the planning and management for the human resources and finance functions.
The major responsibilities of the role of Executive Director include:
- Partnerships: Explores and establishes strategic partnership opportunities in the LHIN-funded sector.
- Liaison with the Board of Directors: Develops a strategic plan; informs the Board of internal and external issues and recommends courses of action; drafts organizational policies for Board approval; provides financial and operational reports and updates to the Board to assist in decision-making.
- Financial planning and management – administers funds according to the approved budget and ensures that A-Way is in compliance with all applicable legislation.
- Human Resources planning and management – Oversees HR policy development in compliance with current legislation and communicates changes with staff; oversees annual performance review process; ensures all health and safety legislation is followed; recommends changes to organizational structure as needed; hires and supervises staff, promotes a collaborative, team-based culture.
- Marketing, Communications, Fundraising – Oversees marketing staff to ensure projects are managed on schedule and on budget; oversees development of events and communications; researches funding sources and writes funding proposals; establishes and strengthens relationships with funders; “tells the story” of A-Way in a compelling way and uses this narrative to drive marketing and communication initiatives; strengthens working relationships with community groups, politicians, other consumer survivor groups and partner agencies; works to enhance A-Way’s profile.
- Social Enterprise - Monitors the financial well-being of the social enterprise, works with operations team to provide the necessary resources to ensure the sustainability of the program and its work towards self-sufficiency; reviews strategic areas for market expansion and oversees the creation of new growth initiatives.
We are interested in candidates with the following qualifications:
- Degree or diploma in business or health-related discipline or suitable combination of education and experience;
- Experience managing LHIN-funded programs at a senior level;
- A successful track record of five or more years at the senior management level in a similar position;
- Experience leading a non-profit organization; preferably with experience in the social enterprise sector
- Superior leadership and administrative skills, developed through increasingly responsible work in executive and management positions;
- Experience in financial management, budget development etc. and experience working directly with a Board of Directors;
- Excellent planning, analytical and organizational skills;
- Demonstrated ability to meet objectives and solve problems through strategic vision and tactical execution, and to make independent decisions in a fastpaced changing environment;
- Proven ability to lead, encourage and motivate staff in a team environment;
- Superior communications skills (written and verbal) and public speaking skills;
- Strong computer skills, including MS Office.
- Must be able to work outside regular business hours;
- An understanding of the psychiatric consumer/survivor community, its challenges and its opportunities is a definite asset.
To apply please send your resume and cover letter, including salary expectations, to personnel at awayexpress.ca by April 26, 2019. If you are contacted by A-Way and you require accommodation in the recruitment process, please let us know.
We thank all who apply, however only those most closely matching the requirements will be contacted.
Visit us at www.awayexpress.ca