Program Assistant – Volunteer & Community Services
Full Time Permanent Position – April 2019
POSITION SUMMARY: Guided by the vision, mission and values of the Immigrant and Refugee Community Organization of Manitoba Inc., the Program Assistant assists the Volunteer and Community Services Program Coordinator to:
- recruit, train and manage volunteers,
- plan and deliver a variety of volunteer and Community Outreach programs,
- manage records, and
- support the IRCOM staff team, volunteers, and Indigenous and community partners.
The Volunteer & Community Services Program Assistant is a grounded, innovative and self-motivated individual committed to IRCOM’s vision and mandate of empowering newcomer families to integrate into the wider community through affordable transitional housing, programs, and services. This individual is a ‘people person’ who is creative, detail-oriented, efficient and resourceful, with strong administrative and organizational skills, and is able to work with a culturally diverse group of clients. The Program Assistant must be able to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment. The VCEPA will exhibit and uphold IRCOM’s core values of integration, diversity, advocacy and empowerment and they will work in a way that is people-centered, holistic and partnership based.
The Volunteer & Community Services Program supports around 100-150 volunteers that share their time and energy with IRCOM on a daily basis. IRCOM’s volunteers come from a wide range of linguistic, educational, ethno-cultural backgrounds with a wide age range. The program is host to more than 30 practicum students each year. Volunteers serve the community in all areas from after-school programming to English as an Additional Language (EAL) classes to house maintenance. With a hand in virtually every activity at IRCOM, our Volunteer Program is a great connector of people and serves as a learning hub for the community.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Volunteer Recruitment (25%)
- Identify, create and promote broadly accessible volunteer opportunities, position descriptions, and schedules
- Recruit volunteers through various channels: web, networks, Volunteer Manitoba, recruitment fairs and events
- Respond to external and internal inquiries about volunteer program
- Screen, interview, and select new volunteers
Program support (25%)
- Maintain regular communication with volunteers (schedule updates, check ins, reviews, feedback, follow up, problem solving, suggestions, community events)
- Supervise volunteers in collaboration with Program Managers and VCSC
- Coordinate and monitor volunteer run programs in conjunction with VCSC, other staff, and volunteers.
- Monitor and support day to day activities of Community Outreach Worker towards achieving program objectives
- Review program with VCSC and ensure program adherence with polices and legislation.
Communication, Orientation and Training (15%)
- Orient and train new volunteers and volunteer families according to individual, program, and organizational needs
- Develop and adapt training material according to volunteer and program needs
- Plan, promote and deliver Community Outreach trainings, workshops, and events related to program deliverables
Program Planning and Delivery (15%)
- Lead Family to Family program in collaboration with CRP staff and in accordance with budget and program guidelines
- Coordinate and plan volunteer recognition and retention events in collaboration with VCSC
- Assist in coordinating, planning, and delivering Common Ground Project activities according to Project objectives
- Take part in organizing, scheduling, and attending Community Advisory Group meetings with Indigenous community leaders and groups
Records Management (10%)
- Ensure volunteer files are complete, secure, and up to date
- Update and maintain volunteer management software and assist in making it accessible and well utilized
- Assist in preparing monthly narrative and program reports
Team & Interdepartmental Support (10%)
- Participate in weekly team meetings, monthly staff meetings and other staff events
- Participate in internal committees and external network meetings as requested.
- Perform other duties as required by the VCSC or designate
- Follow IRCOM policies, guidelines and procedures
- Participate in ongoing professional development
- Post-secondary education in a relevant field OR equivalent combination of education and experience
- Excellent administrative and organizational skills
- Excellent written and oral English communication skills
- Superior computer skills are required
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize work
- Flexibility and positive attitude essential
- Excellent cross-cultural and team work skills
- Comfortable with public speaking and meeting new people on a daily basis
- Proven ability to work with people from diverse cultural backgrounds
- Must be open-minded, resourceful, detail-oriented, highly motivated, and independent
- Present a current Criminal Record Check and maintain a clear Child Abuse Registry Check
- Demonstrate the qualities and values IRCOM seeks for all our staff (see http://www.ircom.ca/about- us/employmentopportunities/ )
- Volunteer management experience
- Experience using Better Impact software
- International education/experience
- Refugee or immigrant experience is an asset
- Knowledge of a second language is an asset
WAGES AND BENEFITS
Schedule: This is a full-time, 37.5 hour/week, permanent position. Work hours are primarily between 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday to Friday, but significant evening and weekend work will be required.
Benefits: Group Insurance Plan with extended health, dental, life and AD&Dinsurance Professional development opportunities Collaborative, family-friendly and supportive working environment
All applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Employment Equity is a factor in selection. Applicants are requested to indicate in their covering letter or résumé if they are from any of the following groups: women, Indigenous people, refugees, immigrants, visible minorities and/or persons with a disability.
For further information, or to apply for this position please use the contact information below. When applying, please note that your cover letter and résumé must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Applications must be submitted by 12 p.m. noon on Monday, April 22, April 5, 2019, to:
HR - Selection Committee
95 Ellen Street
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3A 1S8
Email: hr at ircom.ca
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.