The Summer Community Cook role focuses on enabling community members to develop and share their cooking skills through our Meals-on-Wheels volunteering opportunities, workshops and other activities in the kitchen. They will also play a strong role in kitchen components of the Roulant's social entrepreneurship initiatives. The chosen candidate will work in close collaboration with Kitchen Co-Managers who shares responsibility for the Meals-on-Wheels program, the staff members of the Kitchen Committee and the broader community.
Offer support to the kitchen management team in the following ongoing project areas
- Managing volunteers a few days per week for the Meals-on-Wheels daily meal service
- Transforming seasonal foods in our food cycle program
- Preparing food for special events (such as our annual fundraising Gala)
- Supporting the intergenerational cooking workshop series
- Managing the ecological use of kitchen waste in collaboration with the Compost Collective
We are looking for candidates with the following interests, skills and experience:
- Passion for cooking and for using food to create social change and connection between people
- Experience with cooking for large numbers of people on a daily basis
- Experience in managing food service projects, with an interest in food preservation
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and responsibilities
- Experience and excitement for working with volunteers from diverse backgrounds
- At ease with working under pressure while maintaining a supportive atmosphere for volunteers
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Excited about working in a collaborative and dynamic work environment
- Comfort communicating in both English and French
- A valid driver's license is an important asset
This is a temporary position from May-November at 24 hrs/week at $14.60 to begin as soon as possible. Please note that the schedule of the Roulant requires staff to work Saturday rotations.
Santropol Roulant is committed to building a diverse and accessible community in the most equitable way possible. Inclusion is at the heart of what we do, and as such we are committed to a hiring methodology that reflects this value. We uphold non-discriminatory hiring practice to ensure a fair and just recruitment process, and acknowledge the importance of creating opportunity for protected groups whenever possible. Come as you are – let’s break social isolation and engage our community through healthy food together.
To apply, please submit your application as soon as possible on our open application platform by Friday, May 3rd: https://santropolroulant.org/en/open-application/, or simply visit our website https://santropolroulant.org/en/jobs/ to find the job for which you would like to apply. Due to the large volume of applications anticipated, we will unfortunately only be contacting candidates who are chosen for an interview. For more information, contact Jamiey at 514-284-9335, write to rh at santropolroulant.org, or visit https://santropolroulant.org/en/.