Request for Proposal
Project Title: Alberta Social Innovation/Finance Hub
Deadline for submission: August 16, 2019, 5 p.m., MST
Initial Project Budget: $180,000 committed over two years, with anticipation that amount will be leveraged.
Contact: Lisa Pruden, Edmonton Community Foundation - LPruden at ecfoundation.org
A collaboration of leading social purpose organizations from across Alberta are looking to improve the social innovation and social finance ecosystem in Alberta. In preparation for the anticipated launch of the Federal Government Social Innovation Social Finance Strategy, group discussions, individual interviews and surveys of 53 Alberta based organizations and thought leaders took place during the spring of 2019. A preliminary Action Plan was produced that seeks to coordinate resource for financing, capacity building, and mentoring for the start-up or expansion of social ventures and social innovations. (See Appendix 1: Alberta SI/SF Action Plan)
Several organizations have made financial commitments to supporting the advancement of this Action Plan and have formed a Steering Committee to oversee its implementation. (See Appendix 2: Steering Committee Terms of Reference). Note that these are draft TOR which will be revised in connunction with the Steering Committee once the Program Manager is engaged.
The Steering Committee is seeking proposals from an individual or organization to act as Program Manager begin work on the implementation of the Action plan.
Scope of Work
The Project Manager will implement the following.
- Work in conjunction with the Steering Committee to refine and deepen the preliminary Action Plan, with a focus on the following three priority strategies:
More detailed suggestion on first-year priorities
- Facilitate social supply chain development, focusing initially on public sector procurement
- Foster the development of a robust and responsive social finance ecosystem
- Develop a social enterprise portal/hub that coordinates and links the various components of Alberta’s Social Innovation and Social Finance Ecosystem, including building a collaborative online presence over time.
- Additional strategic considerations may include, but are not limited to:
- Scaling up of proving social innovation initiatives in communities across the province
- Enhancing supports for social innovation/social finance in rural and indigenous communities.
- The Program Manager will work in conjunction with the Steering Committee to develop a 3-year work plan that will advance priority strategies and include
- Actions, objectives and impact measurement indicators to achieve each strategic priority and the financial/human resource requirements needed to achieve each priority.
- Integration of the Action Plan with resources and supports arising from the Federal Social Innovation/Social Finance Strategy, and leverage the initial financial commitment of the Steering Committee members with other identified government, foundation and private sector resources.
- Strategies to ensure the long term sustainability of the action plan with a particular focus on leveraging the capacity of existing social purpose organizations
Due to the nature of the work, cross-provincial travel will be a requirement
Length of Engagement
The Steering Committee will expect the Program Manager to lead the project for the duration of the three-year action plan.
As additional financial resources are secured, additional human resources will be engaged. Staffing may include contracted staff or via secondment of staff from existing social purpose organizations. The program manager will be responsible for supervising staff engaged.
It is expected that the successful applicant will, at a minimum:
- have experience leading and delivering innovative social innovation/social finance services and startup or business development support to social enterprise;
- proven financial management capacity and ability to leverage initial investment of financial resources
- be a dynamic motivator with excellent public speaking and strong writing skills;
- have experience presenting and communicating complex ideas to a diverse audience;
- demonstrated experience working with, and taking strategic direction from steering, committee and collaborating with a wide range of organizations, and
- experience leading a diverse team in achieving complex goals.
Note: Organizations responding to the RFO are required to designate one individual in the organization who will have primary responsibility for achieving Action Plan objectives and supervising contracted staff.
Applicants need to present how back end administrative support and IT needs will be addressed.
|RFP Released||July 19, 2019|
|Clarification / Questions from Potential Respondents Clarification Responses from the Steering Committee||July 19 – July 31, 2019|
|Deadline for RFP Submissions||August 16, 2019, 5 p.m., MST|
|Steering Committee Evaluation of Proposal||August 19 to 23, 2019|
|Selection of Preferred Supplier||August 23, 2019|