$50,000 - $70,000 a year
Who are we?
We are Building Up – Toronto’s leading social contractor. We are a registered pre-apprenticeship program and non-profit contractor that uses renovations and affordable housing development as an opportunity to train and employ individuals with barriers to employment to get into the construction sector. We are a collaborative and passionate staff of 20, and we train 120 participants on an annual basis, of which, 85% go on to full time careers in the construction field. We operate three divisions: general contracting, water efficiency retrofits, and general labour. We are hiring a business development manager to help grow our general labour division. We are a rapidly growing company, and this role offers opportunity for considerable career growth in the coming years.
General Labour Division:
Our general labour division carries out large construction and maintenance projects across the GTA. Our clients are primarily affordable housing providers and private developers. The work we do for these clients includes: painting, groundskeeping, retrofits, radiator cleaning, window washing, and more. On a daily basis the general labour division manages crews of +35 trainees on various sites. The trainees learn on the job in order to gain the skills, confidence and experience required to enter a career in the construction sector.
- Customer Development:
- Develop a pipeline of new customers for the general labour division through cold-calling, emailing, and networking (e.g. trades shows, etc.)
- Manage pipeline of existing customers, supporting repeat business and strong partnerships
- Provide quotes and project estimates, and secure contracts
- Manage customer relationships, ensuring satisfaction
- Invoice customers
- Manage client relationships in CRM, tracking all relevant project notes
- Project Management:
- Oversee project scheduling, ensuring consistent staffing allocation across projects
- Project management throughout the contract lifecycle (on-site and off-site)
- Providing support to on-site project teams, ensuring they have the tools, equipment and information required to manage the sites and carry out the work
- Business Development Strategy:
- Contribute to the development of the growth plan for the general labour division
- Pitching in Where Needed:
- We are a mission-driven organization, where we all pitch in to support the individuals we work with -- individuals with barriers to employment -- to succeed in construction sector. The candidate must be willing to pitch in where needed. This could include helping on a job site (e.g. installing toilets or air conditioners), providing coaching and support to our trainees (e.g. on-on-one conversations), and/or working occasional weekends and evenings.
Necessary Experiences / Qualifications
- 3-5 years experience in a business development role
- Strong customer management skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Familiarity with CRM systems
- Comfort with Excel and managing data
- Demonstrated track record of creative problem solving
- Exceptional facilitation and leadership skills, particularly with disadvantaged community members
- Demonstrated willingness to go the extra mile to get the job done
- G Drivers license is a must - Vehicle is a plus
- Entrepreneur/Problem Solver - Someone who sees a problem and has a need to solve it. They are goal oriented and no matter the goal, will find the resources (internal and external) to combat the issue. You take initiative - constantly looking for ways to help.
- A People Person - You love people and take pride in getting along well with others. You would be able to manage a small crew and coach new trainees, from all backgrounds to get the job done.
- High Empathy - We work with incredible people working hard to turn their lives around and understanding that each person has a different lens, perspective, and journey is paramount.
- Multi-tasker - You know how to manage your time and take on curve balls thrown your way. You’re okay working through moments of chaos - because it does happen.
- Flexible - You must love doing a large variety of tasks and feel comfortable not knowing exactly what you will be doing from one day to the next.
- Job Type: Full-time
- Salary: $50,000.00 - $70,000 /year, commensurate with skills and experience
- Location: Building Up is located at the Learning Enrichment Foundation, at 116 Industry St, Unit 208, Toronto, ON
- On-Site / Off-Site: We expect that the candidate will be in the office approx. 30% of the time, on-site with prospective clients 50% of the time, and overseeing active worksites 20% of the time.
Diversity & Accessibility
Building Up strives to foster a workplace that reflects the diversity of the community we serve and welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Additionally, we are committed to developing an inclusive, barrier-free selection process and work environment. If you are contacted, please advise the hiring manager if you require any accommodation measures to ensure you will be interviewed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to accommodation requests will be treated with confidentiality.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter that provides the following information:
- Describe your previous sales experience
- Describe a time when you’ve used an unconventional / creative approach to get the job done, in the face of challenging circumstances
- Describe what excites you about the potential to work as the Business Development Manager of Building Up
Application deadline: Monday, January 27, 5:00 p.m.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $50,000.00 to $70,000.00 /year
- Sales: 1 year (Preferred)
- project management: 1 year (Preferred)
- Secondary School (Preferred)
- Drivers License G (Required)