Supervisor: Operations Coordinator
Position Type: Seasonal - Summer
Dates: April 27-August 30 - with the possibility of extension
Hours of Work: Full-time (37.5 hours per week with regularly scheduled weekends and some evenings)
Job Summary: The FortWhyte Farms Operation Assistant supports the operations of FortWhyte Farms, an educational facility designed to grow youth, food and community. The Farm Assistant role helps raise and maintain the agricultural aspects of the farm while engaging and educating youth from diverse socio-economic backgrounds in sustainable agriculture, community development through hands-on learning.
Farm Operations (95%)
Under the direction of FortWhyte Farms Operations Coordinator, work as a team member or take a leadership role in undertaking the following tasks:
- Leadership & Mentorship of Youth Participants: In the course of performing job duties related to farm operations, the Operations Assistant will provide leadership, guidance and training to diverse youth.
- Act as a role model and mentor by providing feedback to youth interns while performing assigned agricultural tasks
- Greenhouse: Perform needed tasks in the greenhouse, including watering, pest control, transplanting, fertilizing, pest management, pruning and other routine maintenance tasks
- Horticulture: Assist with weeding, harvesting, seeding, transplanting, watering 2 acres of ecological gardens.
- Pastured Livestock: Attend to daily needs and wellbeing of laying hens, broilers, rabbits and pigs including feeding and watering, moving pens or pasture location, cleanliness, fencing, shelters and transportation of livestock to abattoir
- Food Product Sales: Harvest, wash, package and display vegetables and/or value-added food items for sale at our weekly Market and CSA share pick-ups. The Operations Assistant provides excellent customer service to customers and visitors, in addition to handling cash, inventory and sales.
- Landscaping: Maintain appearance of building and grounds of FortWhyte Farms, including operating lawn mower and/or weed trimmer, watering outdoor plants and flower beds
- General Maintenance & Sweep, mop and tidy all facilities within Farm Headquarters, Garage, Barn, Greenhouse, Tool Sheds and outbuildings as per cleaning schedule
- Remove organic waste, garbage and recycling from building as needed.
Other Duties As Assigned (5%)
Basic Hiring Criteria:
- Experience in small-scale farming (horticulture and/or pastured livestock)
- Physically fit and capable of manual, outdoor labour with animals and bees
- Flexible work schedule (some evenings and weekends)
- Experience working with underserved and diverse youth
- Excellent customer service
- Ability to work independently/ self-directed, as well as in a team
- Demonstrated dedication and commitment to the work of FortWhyte Farms and the mission and mandate of FortWhyte Alive
- Demonstrated work ethic, motivation and leadership
Valid Driver’s License (Class 4 preferred), First Aid, CPR and Food Handler’s Certificate an Asset
Please submit your résumé by February 21, 2020