Position: Program Manager, Climate Innovation Initiative
Location: Vancouver, BC
Start Date: February, 2020
Position Status: Full Time (37.5 hours/week), Salaried.
Salary Range: Starting $65,000 – $75,000 annually, depending on experience. Generous benefits package available after three months.
Ecotrust Canada is an enterprising nonprofit powered by the vision of people and nature thriving together. We develop innovative economic solutions that enable Indigenous, rural and remote communities across Canada to share in the management and benefit of local resources – from forestry to fisheries to housing to energy. Our on the ground work and systems approach is entrepreneurial, partnership based and relentlessly practical. Learn more at ecotrust.ca
Ecotrust Canada’s Climate Innovation Initiative has three focal areas:
- Community Action is at the core of our work with Indigenous, rural and resource-dependent communities. Priority work on this front supports Ecotrust Canada’s long-standing work in the North East Superior region of Ontario to enable First Nations communities in driving community-led climate action, with an emphasis on forest carbon management on their traditional territories.
- Infrastructure and Policy work strives to unlock the climate opportunity created by Canada’s inclusion of forest carbon in its Paris Agreement commitments, which places forest carbon emissions on par with fossil fuel emissions as both a problem, and a solution. Our vision at Ecotrust Canada is to create opportunities to deliver Natural Climate Solutions that empower and benefit forest-based communities, while giving governments an entirely new, cost effective path for investment into emission reductions across Canada.
- Blockchain for Climate: Ecotrust Canada and Blockchain for Climate Foundation have partnered to develop tools to link Canada’s National Carbon Account to the Paris Agreement via blockchain. This is the initial national deployment of the Foundation’s work to “put the Paris Agreement on the blockchain,” connecting the national carbon of the world to enable cross border collaboration on emissions reductions.
Our Climate Innovation initiative is growing and we seek a Program Manager to drive successful execution of carbon project development, deep community engagement with our rural, remote and Indigenous partner communities, and, climate policy development with a focus on Natural Climate Solutions. We are seeking a highly organized individual with strong project development skills and relevant industry and policy experience. The Program manager will report directly to Ecotrust Canada’s Director of Climate Innovation.
Project Development Responsibilities:
- Work with Climate Innovation team to develop emissions reductions and carbon offset projects which focus on Natural Climate Solutions.
- Support development of technical climate impact and carbon modeling documentation as part of carbon offset and other emissions reductions projects.
- Lead development of biodiversity and species at risk assessment tools for use in Natural Climate Solutions projects.
- Lead research and report-writing activities including data collection, writing, and analysis as needed to successfully execute climate projects
- Develop and maintain constructive relationships with Indigenous communities and organizations, industry leaders, technology providers, thought leaders, other NGOS, and government.
Community Engagement Responsibilities:
- Lead engagement with Climate Innovation Initiative’s rural, remote, and Indigenous community partners both on the ground and from Vancouver office.
- Lead development of meetings and educational events for community partners and broader climate solutions stakeholders.
- Support Climate Innovation Initiative’s engagement with broad Canadian climate community, as well as with Natural Climate Solutions community.
- Support community engagement and project coordination activities as required
Policy Development Responsibilities
- Lead the development of research & policy reports incorporating key findings from policy research and convening events.
- Support outreach to policymakers and decision-makers including development of meeting materials and coordination of meetings with key decision-makers
- Support grant writing and reporting activities of the Climate Innovation Initiative.
- Support development of the “Forest Carbon Economy Fund” under development by Ecotrust Canada’s Climate Innovation Initiative – proposing new pathway to fund verified climate action in Canada’s forests.
- Support development of forest carbon offset standards and protocols across Canada.
Skills and Qualifications
Candidates must clearly reflect, with examples, the following skills and experience in their application.
- Minimum of an undergraduate degree in Biology, Forestry, Engineering, Business, Public Policy, Social Sciences, or a related field.
- Self-motivated and results-oriented, with the ability to take initiative and work independently with minimum supervision.
- At least four years of experience conducting complex project development and/or policy development.
- Demonstrated ability to identify clear and relevant policy goals in a new topic area, and to design and execute effective programs to deliver on the most impactful policy options.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written).
- Understanding/willingness to learn about Canada’s colonial history, its ongoing impacts on Indigenous communities, and a commitment to Reconciliation.
- Understanding of emissions reductions project development.
- Demonstrated commitment to sustainability and social change through educational, professional, and volunteer experiences.
- Ability to communicate complex technical matters in plain language.
- Ability and willingness to travel (estimated one-two weeks per quarter-year.)
Other Valuable Qualifications:
- A master’s degree in Biology, Forestry, Engineering, Business, Public Policy, Social Sciences, or a related field.
- Experience in working with rural, remote, and Indigenous communities on issues of forest management and land planning.
- Prior experience in the design, management, or development of carbon offset projects.
- Familiarity with development of forest carbon and/or forestry projects.
- Experience in the successful execution of public-facing policy or advocacy delivery, especially in the areas of emissions reductions projects and/or climate policy.
- Experience in facilitation and/or chairing meetings and group processes.
- Understanding of the role of provincial and federal climate regulations and carbon pricing policy.
How to Apply: To apply please submit resume, cover letter, and references to info at ecotrust.ca with ‘Program Manager – Climate Innovation’ in the subject line by noon PST on February 10, 2020.