Canadian CED Network
Government Relations Manager
April 2020 - March 2021
The Canadian Community Economic Development Network (CCEDNet) is seeking a Government Relations Manager to work in our Ottawa office. This is a leadership position that will report to the Executive Director, leading CCEDNet’s outreach efforts to governments, members and key partners.
ABOUT THE CANADIAN CED NETWORK
CCEDNet is a values-based, non-profit association committed to connecting people and ideas for action that builds local economies that strengthen communities and benefit everyone. We have members throughout Canada working at the grassroots level in rural, urban, Indigenous, and northern settings. CCEDNet and its members are committed to the values of inclusion, diversity and equity, and promote approaches that are participatory, democratic, innovative and entrepreneurial. Together, we are working towards sustainable and inclusive communities directing their own social, environmental, and economic futures. Find out more at https://ccednet-rcdec.ca
The Government Relations Manager
- supports the Executive Director of CCEDNet in the achievement of strategic priorities;
- is responsible for developing a government relations plan and managing effective federal government relations based on the common goals of CCEDNet and our members; and
- is responsible for building strong collaborative relationships with federal government representatives and other stakeholders, networks and advocacy groups, especially member organizations.
- Leads CCEDNet’s government affairs activities by establishing positive relationships with elected officials and civil servants for the purpose of the development of community economic development in Canada.
- Initiates and leads CCEDNet’s efforts to align and complement member and key stakeholder public policy positions and strategies.
- Identifies strategies to engage members in public policy input, lobby campaigns and government relations.
- Develops and implements strategies to profile CCEDNet and members to secure funding and enable policy development and legislation to support community development and growth.
- Coordinates the CCEDNet Committees that engage members and stakeholders, such as the National Policy Council and People-Centred Economy Group.
- Monitors news media and government sources (House of Commons, Senate, Committees, Gazettes) for potential changes in regulatory and legislative areas to ensure CCEDNet reacts effectively and advises its members of the resulting impact on their operations.
- Supports members in their own lobbying efforts through advice and sharing networks of elected officials and civil servants.
- Writes briefs on particular initiatives for educational, promotional and policy development.
- Government relations experience coupled with a strong understanding of federal government processes and institutions.
- Demonstrated competence in member engagement, team building, strategic planning and organizational management.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, superior oral and written capabilities, including the ability to build professional relationships with government.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with a variety of stakeholders (members; academics; government; media) and the ability to strategically and constructively respond to member needs as well as exercise leadership and diplomacy amongst diverse perspectives and priorities.
- An understanding of community economic development, social economy, social enterprise, social innovation and social finance in Canada and the policy and program areas most relevant to community-based stakeholders in the field an asset.
- Knowledge, experience and commitment to gender equity, poverty reduction, reconciliation, anti-racism / anti-oppression, diversity and inclusion.
- Fluently bilingual (English and French) – both spoken and written.
- University degree, preferably a Master’s degree in political science, public policy, Canadian studies, economics or a related discipline is an asset.
- Occasional evening and weekend work
- Occasional overtime work
- Occasional domestic travel
- A complete benefit package
- Group RRSP contributions
- Supportive work environment with flexible hours
- 3 weeks vacation
- Time off with pay between December 25 and January 1
- Generous paid time off including paid sick time and personal obligation leave
- Professional development opportunities
This is a one year contract position starting in March 2020 with possibility of extension. It is full-time at 37.5 hours / week with some flexibility on schedules. Starting salary range is $56,868 - $67,486 annually, plus extended benefits.
Send resume and cover letter to info (at) ccednet-rcdec.ca with “Government Relations Manager” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until a successful candidate is selected.
The Canadian CED Network is an equal opportunity employer and strives for a fair, cooperative, respectful and safe environment that protects and promotes human rights and affirms the dignity of all persons. Candidates from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Do not hesitate to contact us if you require alternative arrangements to submit your application.
CCEDNet provides accommodation during all parts of the hiring process, upon request, to applicants with stated needs. If contacted to proceed to the selection process, please advise us if you require any accommodation.
We appreciate all applications. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.