The WestEnd Commons is a unique housing and neighbourhood resource in West Central Winnipeg. We operate with a Community Development lens offering housing with supports. There are 3 components to the WestEnd Commons; 26 family housing units, a Neighbourhood Resource Centre (NRC) and several worshiping congregations. The housing component on the upper 4 levels includes 20 subsidized and 6 median market rent family apartments. The NRC on the lower level is run as a social enterprise offering office and meeting rental space. The WestEnd Commons is a project of the St. Matthews Non Profit Housing, Inc. (SMNPH).
The Property and Community Life Director position is an evolving position which is connected to the whole building.
- Oversees the daily running of the building,
- Supervising the staff,
- Managing the residential rentals,
- Assisting with fundraising
- Reporting to and supporting the SMNPH board,
- The underlying goal for the position is to develop positive relationships and create a sense of community amongst the WestEnd Commons tenants (residential and NRC) and build connections with the larger community.
The Property and Community Life Director is a significant position for the WestEnd Commons and requires someone who is ready for a challenge. The qualifications we are seeking for this position are:
- Demonstrated community development and facilitating skills with proven ability to work collaboratively.
- Proven ability to work in an environment which requires flexibility, self-initiative and vision despite limited resources.
- Demonstrated leadership skills with program planning and management experience with strong problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work from an empowerment and community capacity building model.
- Demonstrated experience in supervising staff.
- Demonstrated organizational and administrative skills.
- An appreciation of cultural sensitivities and ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds with multiple barriers.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively in a team as well as ability to on their own with limited direct supervision.
- Demonstrated experience working with families who face multiple barriers.
- Demonstrated ability to write well in order to successfully complete formal reports and funding proposals.
- Demonstrated effective communication and conflict resolution skills.
- Demonstrated computer skills including MS Office and Google G-Suite.
- The ability to have a flexible schedule to include some evenings and weekends.
- Experience working in non profits with boards and committees would be an asset.
- Experience in property management and working with tenants in a housing situation would be an asset.
- Working knowledge of the social supports and resources in Winnipeg would be an asset.
- Post-secondary education in a social sciences related field, preferably with a community development emphasis; or equivalent experience
Wage: $20 per hour
Contract: Currently 24 hours/week with the potential of additional hours dependent upon funding
Start date: ASAP (April 1)
Application deadline: March 15
If you feel you have the qualifications and passion to join in on the work and life at the WestEnd Commons then please submit your resume via email to: office at thewestendcommons.ca. In the subject line put in – Staff Relations Committee.
Only applicants chosen for interviews will be contacted.