Bookkeeper – Full Cycle
(Permanent, Full-time - 37.5 hours/week)
Candidate Profile: The Bookkeeper is an experienced and collaborative finance professional committed to the Immigrant and Refugee Community Organization of Manitoba Inc. (IRCOM)’s vision and mandate to empower newcomer families to integrate into the wider community through affordable transitional housing, accessible services and capacity building programs. This person is a detail oriented, efficient and resourceful individual with strong financial management and computer skills, able to work effectively with a culturally diverse group of community members. The ideal candidate will thrive in a fast-paced environment, manage and prioritize multiple tasks, and support the management and staff team in achieving IRCOM’s outcomes.
Position Summary and Purpose: The Bookkeeper provides efficient, accurate and on-time processing of all payroll, accounts payable and accounts receivable transactions and recordkeeping for two non-profit organizations with a combined annual budget of $4 million and 60 employees.
Guided by the vision, mission and values of the Immigrant and Refugee Community Organization of Manitoba Inc., the Bookkeeper supports IRCOM’s financial process by performing the following functions:
- Administer payroll
- Accounts Payable
- Accounts Receivable
- Team and interdepartmental support
Under the direction and support of the Senior Finance Officer, the Bookkeeper will fulfill the following:
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Payroll Administration (30%)
- Administer bi-weekly payroll for Immigrant and Refugee Community Organization of Manitoba Inc. (IRCOM) and IRCOM House Inc.
- Prepare, update and distribute bi-weekly timesheets for all staff, recording and monitoring levels of banked, sick, discretionary and vacation time allotments
- Administer attendance system, alerting supervisors when staff exceed policy limits related to banked time, sick time, vacation allotment, etc.
- Prepare and submit payroll deductions and remittances on a timely basis and ensure records are up to date
- Ensure timely processing of journal entries in the accounting system
- Prepare reconciliations for payroll accounts
- Prepare Records of Employment (ROE’s) and various payroll reports as requested
- Ensure confidentiality and security of all financial transactions
- Prepare T220’s, T4’s and T4 summaries
Accounts Payable (30%)
- Receive invoices and verify that all transactions comply with financial policies, procedures, and controls
- Prepare batches of invoices for data entry and double check all cheque requisitions against accompanying documents
- Flag and report invoice or payment discrepancies, coding errors and ineligible expenses
- Process and reconcile corporate credit cards and remit payments in a timely way
- Monitor corporate credit card use / limits and recommend changes to Senior Management Team
- Prepare payments for authorization and remit payments
- Administer petty cash
Accounts Receivable (30%)
- Verify, code, post and reconcile all accounts receivable transactions
- Prepare bills, invoices and bank deposits
- Generate financial statements and reports detailing accounts receivable status
- Facilitate payment of invoices due by sending bill reminders and contacting clients
- Assist in maintaining funder database
- Monitor all funder reporting requirements and prepare accompanying financial reports for funders and donors in collaboration with the Senior Finance Officer
- Issue charitable tax receipts
Team and Inter-departmental Support (10%)
- Implement auditor recommendations
- Assist staff team to ensure all aspects of financial operations comply with IRCOM’s Risk Management Plan
- Comply with all organizational and legal policies and procedures
- Participate in team and staff meetings and events
- Engage in ongoing professional development
- Monthly reports to supervisor
- Other duties as assigned
- Successful completion of a payroll training program (Payroll Compliance Practitioner certification is an asset)
- Diploma or degree certificate in accounting or business administration
- Minimum 3 years full-cycle bookkeeping experience including payroll, accounts payable and accounts receivable (ideally within the Not-for-Profit or Charitable sector)
- Work experience using GAAP
- High degree of proficiency in Sage 50 (Simply Accounting), Payworks, and MS Excel
- Professional experience with online banking including CAFT (Customer Automated Funds Transfer)
- Keen attention to detail and strong organizational and time management skills
- Proven ability to be flexible and to problem solve
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work as a team player as well as take initiative and work with minimal supervision
- Present a current Criminal Record Check and maintain a clear Child Abuse Registry Check
- Demonstrate the qualities and values IRCOM seeks for all our staff (see http://www.ircom.ca/about-us/employmentopportunities/ )
Starting Salary: $41,925 / year
Benefits: Group Insurance Plan with extended health, dental, life and AD&D insurance Employer paid RRSP contributions Professional development opportunities. Collaborative, family-friendly and supportive working environment
Applicants are asked to indicate:
- Their date of availability to work on their cover letter.
- Their desire to attend an informational meeting via ZOOM on March 27, 3 to 5 p.m.
All applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Employment Equity is a factor in selection. Applicants are requested to indicate in their covering letter or résumé if they are from any of the following groups: women, Indigenous people, refugees, immigrants, visible minorities and/or persons with a disability.
For further information, or to apply for this position please use the contact information below. When applying, please note that your cover letter and résumé must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications. Applications must be submitted by Friday, March 27, 2020 at 12 pm to:
HR - Selection Committee
95 Ellen Street
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3A 1S8
Email: timf at ircom.ca
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.