Location: Anywhere in Canada
Indigenous Climate Action (ICA) is looking for someone with passion, who enjoys working on a team, setting precedents, and is committed to true Indigenous Climate Justice to serve as its Finance Coordinator.
At ICA we inspire climate action by centering Indigenous nationhood and autonomy as a primary climate solution. ICA provides tools for our communities, promotes sustainable ways of life and uplifts our solutions and voices within the climate crisis. As Indigenous peoples, we must realize that we are our own experts.
Together we support a world with sovereign and thriving Indigenous Peoples and cultures leading climate justice for all. For more information go to our website at https://www.indigenousclimateaction.com/
The Finance Coordinator will be responsible for facilitating and supporting the management of finances and related processes for financial planning for ICA. This role would also work closely with the Executive Director, the Fiscal Leadership Team, and our fiscal agent the Polaris Institute to determine strategies for meeting the long-term financial goals of ICA, The Financial Coordinator would report to the Director of Operations.
The Finance Coordinator will manage the organization’s financial operations, including oversight of accounts payable and receivable, budgeting, production of financial statements and reports, and advisement of the senior management team on financial decisions.
Reporting to the Leadership Team, the Finance Coordinator will:
- Oversee the day-to-day financial operations including oversight of accounts payable and receivable, and maintenance of the general ledger
- Work with Fiscal Sponsor to prepare, analyze and present financial reports (income statements and balance sheets) in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements to staff
- Collaborate on the annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the staff; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes and produce monthly budget versus actual reports
- Work with Leadership Team for project planning and budget tracking
- Work with project staff for the implementation of budgets and reporting
- Work with the Development Director to produce financial reports for funders; maintain shared grant reporting calendar due dates and submissions, including all required financial deliverables as stated per grant awards and contracts
- Support the Leadership Team to remain up-to-date on best practices in nonprofit finance, business systems and internal control measures, and state and federal law regarding nonprofit operations
Qualifications and Experience
- Collaborative decision-making processes experience
- Outstanding financial and analytical skills
- Certificate in Bookkeeping or Accounting is preferred
- Understanding of nonprofit finances and reporting. Some work experience in a philanthropic, non-profit, or mission-driven organization a plus
- Experience working with Quick Books accounting software desired
- Technology savviness, fluent using GSuite, Internet and spreadsheet and budgeting software
- Awareness and application of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) as set out in Chartered Professional Accountant Canada’s public sector accounting handbook is an asset
- Experience and understanding of Indigenous rights, climate justice and social justice movements
- Member of an Indigenous community and fluency in an Indigenous language an asset
The position is full time at 37.5 hr/wk however, for the time being, ICA has adopted an experimental four day work week (30 hr/wk). The successful candidate must be willing to be flexible and work hours required to meet ICA expectations. A Criminal Record Check along with Child and Adult Abuse Registry checks are required conditions of employment. ICA can assist with this process if need be.
SALARY: $50,000 - $56,000 annual salary (pro-rated) depending on qualifications
START DATE For Position: Open
CLOSING DATE For Applications: Until suitable candidate is found
To apply, please email your resume and a brief cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest in the position. We will only contact those selected for an interview.