Employment Opportunity: Community Helper Coordinator
Wahbung Abinoonjiiag Inc. is a non-profit organization that offers programming and services to empower children, youth and families to end the cycle of violence through holistic healing and Indigenous teachings and activities.
Under the general direction of the Manager of Programs and Administration and reporting directly to the Program Support Specialist, the Community Helper Coordinator is responsible for the development, facilitation and coordination of the Community Helper Program. The Community Helper Coordinator will lead the Community Helper team made up of staff and volunteers while
providing support, guidance and resources to families. The Coordinator will work both independently and within a team setting while building successful working relationships with families, team members and external stakeholders while maintaining the integrity, philosophy and values of the organization. The Community Helper Program is guided by Gwekaanimad; a partnership between Andrews Street Family Centre, Mount Carmel Clinic, Blue Thunderbird Family Care, The Winnipeg Boldness Project and Wahbung Abinoonjiiag.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the development, planning, implementation and coordination of the Community Helper Initiative to fulfil the objectives of the project;
- Responsible for the development, planning, implementation and coordination of the Volunteer Helper Initiative to fulfil the objectives of the project;
- Develop, implement and coordinate the 24/7 Support Line including a resource manual;
- Provide crisis intervention, safety planning, support to access resources, mentorship and advocacy for participants on an individualized basis in person, or remotely through phone or online;
- Responsible for attending or hosting meetings pertaining to the program and assisting the Community Helper Initiative Team with the preparation monthly reports, data logs and meeting the objectives of the reporting requirements;
- Work collaboratively with the Evaluation contractor on the Evaluation plan, data gathering and development of respective reports;
- Work collaboratively and build respectful and effective relationships with other staff, volunteers and families;
- Provide support for administrative duties as needed; and,
- Other duties as assigned.
- Acceptable combination of education and work experience related to the position, degree or certification considered an asset;
- Knowledge and experience with coordination and supervision of community engagement programming;
- Experience working with children, youth, women and families who have experienced or witnessed domestic violence;
- Experience working in community-based organizations, family resource centres within the inner city and/or Indigenous communities in a not-for-profit setting;
- Proven knowledge and ability in critical thinking, decision-making, problem-solving and conflict resolution skills;
- Knowledge and understanding of Indigenous culture and traditions and the impact of colonization on the health and well- being of Indigenous children and families;
- Proven ability to work within a team environment with respect, professionalism, cooperation, sensitivity and cultural awareness;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Excellent organizational, leadership and time management skills; and,
- Valid driver’s license and the ability to travel is a requirement.
Contingent on experience/qualifications
Hours of Work:
Full-Time Term Position, 37.5 hours per week until March 31, 2021. Must be available days, evenings and
Deadline to Apply:
Monday, September 7, 2020 at 5pm
Please send your resume and cover letter (clearly identifying which position title you are apply for) to:
Wahbung Abinoonjiiag Inc.
Attention: Selection Committee
Mail: 225 Dufferin Avenue
Winnipeg, MB R2W 5N7
Fax: (204) 582-9508
Preference will be given to individuals that self-identify as Indigenous. The successful candidate will be subject to provide a current criminal record and child abuse registry check. Wahbung Abinoonjiiag Inc. would like to thank all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.