BUILD INC. SEEKS EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
Building Urban Industries for Local Development (BUILD) Inc. is seeking an Executive Director to provide leadership, coordinating all aspects of BUILD’s operations and affairs. Reporting to an Indigenous Board of Directors, the Executive Director in responsible for: Board relationships & leadership; strategic planning and monitoring; financial planning; management and fundraising; government, community and media relations; as well as human resources planning and management. Women, Indigenous people, persons with a disability and visible minority candidates are encouraged to self-declare.
Founded in 2006, BUILD is a multiple award-winning social enterprise general contractor and training program for people who face barriers to employment. A non-profit organization, BUILD is a national leader in providing innovative approaches to address some of society’s most complex and complicated social issues. BUILD’s trainees often have criminal records, contact with the child welfare system, little to no work experience, and incomplete education. Trainees are provided with entry-level trades-based training, essential skills, vocational skills and job preparation training. These skills are supplemented through work experience in BUILD’s self-sustaining general contracting social enterprise. Apartment turnover and interior renovation services are provided to campaign-level customers at competitive market rates, on-time and with quality assurance.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Relevant Bachelor’s degree or higher (e.g. Economic Development, Community Development, Social Work) OR a combination of training in business management, social services delivery, Indigenous adult education or public administration.
- Minimum of 5 years in senior management experience preferred.
- Experience in the social innovation sector in a leadership or business management role.
DEMONSTRATED SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Knowledge of leadership and management principles as they relate to the non-profit sector.
- Knowledge and experience with social enterprise or mission-driven business operations with multiple competing bottom-lines.
- Knowledge of the challenges of multi-barriered individuals seeking employment and best practices for overcoming those challenges.
- Knowledge of the construction sector and its human resource needs, including unionized and nonunionized private sector operations.
- Knowledge of the principles of Community Economic Development and their application.
- Demonstrated skill in human resources management, including best practices for culturally safe workplaces for Indigenous people.
- Demonstrated skill in financial management of multi-million-dollar organizations.
- Knowledge of project management tools and practices.
- Highly proficient with the Microsoft Office 365 platform.
Vision: A prosperous community, healthy families and employed individuals.
Mission: Empowering multi-barriered people by providing skills training and employment opportunities.
- Demonstrates adaptability and versatility in a changing environment while maintaining quality
- Demonstrates ethical practices and standards and a behaviour consistent with BUILD’s values.
- Understanding and respect for the needs of the population BUILD serves, including Indigenous values, culture, historical impacts of colonization and demonstrates commitment to reconciliation.
- Demonstrates effective communication with multiple audiences, including senior government officials, non-profit organizations, the construction and property management sectors, and vulnerable populations.
- Fosters a culture of innovation and contributor to organizational growth.
- Cooperative working style enhancing organizational effectiveness.
- Cultivates and sustains positive relationships, including with historically strained relationships.
- Ability to assess situations, determine the importance, urgency and risks, and to make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization and its objectives.
- Works to a schedule with clear deadlines, with goals, action plans and demonstrable results.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and to problem solve with a strong social and economic analysis that is in keeping with the vision and values.
RESPONSILBITIES AND DUTIES
|Planning & Monitoring||
This position is full time permanent (37.5 hour per week) and salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. We offer a competitive compensation and employee benefits package in a team-oriented work environment.
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit their resume and a cover letter including their qualifications and experience related to the position to jobs at buildinc.ca by 4:00 pm on October 23rd. Applicants are asked to reference the position title in the subject line of their application email. We thank all candidates who apply, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
For more information on BUILD, candidates are encouraged to visit our website at www.buildinc.ca.