The Alberta Community and Co-operative Association (ACCA) is the provincial trade association for co-operatives and credit unions. Our mission is a strong co-operative sector, and we work towards this ambitious goal by promoting the co-operative business structure, creating connections, supporting the co-operative sector, and inspiring co-operative innovation. Working with our strategic partner the BC Co-operative Association, we are seeking an intern for a six-month position for the first half of 2021.
Internship Opportunity: Special Projects Officer
This work experience placement is part of the CreateAction Inclusive Social Innovation program. The Special Projects Officer will be part of a network of 25 CreateAction participants and will join in regular peer learning and training sessions delivered by the program partners: the Canadian CED Network and the National Association of Friendship Centres.
- Wage: $19/hour for 37.5 hours/week for a period of 26 weeks (January 11th, 2021-July 9th, 2021)
- Benefits: Six (6) hours per week of peer learning activities, including those organized by the Canadian Community Economic Development and 1.5hrs per month to participate in national virtual participant learning sessions. A minimum of three (3) working days for the Participant to participate in an in-person or online learning event.
- Location: This is a remote position for The successful candidate will work from, however if possible, some work could take place on-site meetings at our Calgary office (223 12th Ave SW, Calgary. AB).
- Schedule: Weekdays
- Application Deadline: Monday, December 14th at 4:30 pm (MT). Interviews will take place on December 16th and 17th. We will make every effort to accommodate candidates’ schedules and needs in all parts of the hiring process. Interviews will be held over video-conferencing.
The Special Projects Officer coordinates the Co-operative Intelligence Unit, by providing administrative support and managing stakeholder relations and external communications. The Special Projects Officer will also participate in strategy development and implementation, provide support to researchers, and identify opportunities. The Special Project Officer will report to the Manager of Co-operative Services.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement communication plan with internal and external stakeholders
- Administrative support
- Prepare and circulate meeting minutes
- Create and manage shared calendars and documents
- Support researchers
- Share materials created by the Co-operative Intelligence Unit to the co-operative sector
- Assist in organizing events
Team Participation (10%)
- Attend ACCA staff and co-operative sector meetings
Learning Opportunities (15%)
- Create and follow a learning plan focused on community economic development
- Develop an employment transition plan
- Paid or unpaid experience administrative experience
- Interested in learning about innovation, the local economy, and co-operatives
- Strong organizational skills
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Willingness to engage in independent and remote online work
- Comfortable working in both self-directed and team environments
- Ability to prioritize workload and the flexibility to manage multiple tasks as required
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, Gmail, Google Drive, and Zoom
Candidates must meet the following criteria:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at start of placement;
- be a Canadian citizen, or permanent resident or a protected person as defined by the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act;
- be legally entitled to work in Canada;
- be legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations; and
- be experiencing one or more barriers to employment; and/or
- be not in education, employment, or training (NEET).
We are committed to removing barriers to employment that are faced by equity-seeking groups and encourage (but do not require) members of these groups to self-identify as such in their applications. We strongly encourage individuals who self-identify as Black, racialized, or Indigenous (status or non-status First Nations, Metis, or Inuit) to apply for this position
To Apply: Submit a cover letter and resume to Seth Leon, Manager of Co-operative Services to sleon at acca.coop by Monday, December 14th at 4:30pm (MT). If you have any questions, or would like to learn more about the ACCA, please do not hesitate to reach out.