The Role: Place-Based Workforce Development Assistant
Contract: 6 months, full-time
About Centre for Connected Communities (C3)
C3 (https://connectedcommunities.ca/) is a community development strategy organization working with communities to find collective solutions to complex urban problems. We are a small, fun team passionate about building communities!
About the Job
We are hiring a Place-Based Workforce Development Assistant to support the C3 staff team to bring the Connected Communities Work model to communities committed to learning and using the approach. This role reports to C3’s Manager, Policy/Community Connections, one of nine people on the C3 team. The successful candidate does not need relevant past work experience to qualify for this position, and should convey a passion for building stronger and more resilient communities. The role requires the candidate to have an interest in community economic development, urban planning, community benefits, and tackling geographic poverty in urban areas.
Skills and experience
- Basic research skills
- Effective writing and communication
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Proficiency of Microsoft Suite primarily Word and Excel
Characteristics and Attributes
- Passionate about C3’s mission, theory of change, and our work
- An interest in learning about community economic development, urban planning, community benefits, and geographic poverty in urban areas
- Commitment to learning and practicing the Connected Community Approach
A Note about this Program and Required Criteria of the Program
This work experience placement is part of the CreateAction Inclusive Social Innovation program. The Place-based Workforce Development Assistant will be part of a network of 25 CreateAction participants and will join in regular peer learning and training sessions delivered by the program partners: the Canadian CED Network and National Association of Friendship Centres.
Candidates must meet the following Criteria:
- Be between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at start of placement;
- be a Canadian citizen, or permanent resident or a protected person as defined by the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act;
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada;
- Be legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations; and
- Be experiencing one or more barriers to employment; and/or
- Be not in education, employment, or training (NEET).
Position Type: Full time (37.5 hours), 6 months contract.
Application Deadline: Monday January 4, 2021 by 11:59 p.m
Interviewing Date (applicants must be available this day, if unavailable due to exceptional circumstances, email Ajeev immediately): Thursday January 7, 2021
Start Date - End Date: Monday, January 11, 2021 - July, 2021
Location: Remote work, access to a computer, camera, phone and reliable internet are important. C3 can provide access to a laptop for the duration of the contract if needed.
To apply, please send the following to Ajeev, Manager of Policy/Community Connections at abhatia at connectedcommunities.ca. If you have any questions about the application, hiring process or position, please contact Ajeev.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter (300 words maximum) that includes your responses to the following questions:
- What interests you most about this position?
- How would your skills and experiences (personal and professional) inform your success in this position?
- If you are the successful candidate, what are your learning goals?
- include “Place-Based Workforce Development Assistant” in the email subject line
- Please include all application material in a single document
- All candidates invited for an interview will be contacted on Tuesday January 5th by 6 pm
A Note on Employment Equity
At C3 we deeply value the experience, knowledge and wisdom of people who have faced systemic barriers. People with disabilities, women, Black, Indigenous and People of Colour, and other historically marginalized groups are encouraged to apply.