Skillcity Institute is an Alberta based, social purpose organization dedicated to support and empowerment of disadvantaged young people from vulnerable racialized and underserved communities, facing multiple systemic barriers preventing them from realizing their full potential in education, employment and enterprise.
We are looking for a dynamic forward-thinking Social Innovation Assistant to work closely with our Executive Director in extending our reach through strategic partnerships and delivering innovative programs and services, tailored to empower communities and individuals to enhance their socioeconomic well-being.
This full-time work experience placement is part of the CreateAction Inclusive Social Innovation program. The Social Innovation Assistant will be part of a network of 25 CreateAction participants and will join in regular peer learning and training sessions throughout the 6 month work experience, delivered by the program partners: the Canadian CED Network and the National Association of Friendship Centres.
Candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Be between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at start of placement;
- Be a Canadian citizen, or permanent resident or a protected person as defined by the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act;
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada;
- Be legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations; and
- Be experiencing one or more barriers to employment; and/or
- Be not in education, employment, or training (NEET).
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Assist in coordinating projects related to social innovation, human-centred design and lean start-up
- Assist in knowledge and skills development materials preparation for our ICE (Innovation, Creativity, Entrepreneurship) initiatives and youth support activities, training workshops, and social media platforms(Facebook, Instagram, and/or Twitter)
- Assist in skills mentoring, recruitment, community engagement, and outreach activities, as well as digital entrepreneurship support activities.
- Other social innovation and project administration support tasks assigned by supervisor
- Ready, willing and able to commit full-time hours to the placement and participate in the regular peer learning and training sessions throughout the 6 month work experience.
- A post-secondary qualification completed in a relevant field (social sciences, STEM fields, humanities, etc.)
- Digitally-inclined, resourceful, and willing to learn and use new systems
- Personal resilience; enthusiasm for learning and self-improvement
- Commitment to exploring new ways of problem-solving, and ability to take initiative
- Commitment to exploring and expanding their socioeconomic potential, through continuous learning and skills enhancement
- Open to a flexible work schedule, able to learn quickly and multitask as needed
- A desire and drive to help others succeed
- Comfortable with co-working virtually, as well as in-person
- Comfortable working in a multicultural setting
- Preferably based in Edmonton, Alberta and area
- Interested in STEM literacy
This paid work placement position will remain open until December 18, 2020. If you have the qualities we are looking for, send your resume and cover letter to info at skillcity.ca.