Associate / Senior Associate, Investments (Permanent and Full-Time)
Social Capital Partners (“SCP”) is hiring a Senior Associate to help our organization build a more resilient and inclusive economy. The successful candidate will be primarily responsible for supporting SCP’s investment activities, which include everything from providing debt to companies converting to employee ownership, to venture funding for start-ups helping local entrepreneurs compete with large chains, to seed capital for funds enabling more people to become business owners. An ideal candidate for this role would have strong experience in financial due diligence and modeling, but also a broad skillset and passion for SCP’s mission. Beyond working on transactions with the SCP team, the Senior Associate will have an opportunity to support our investees and contribute to public policy initiatives.
Who we are
Founded in 2001 by entrepreneur and philanthropist Bill Young, SCP uses capital to address social inequities. Our independent funding allows us to play the role that’s needed most, whether that be as an investor or by designing and implementing new financial tools. Past examples of our work include investing in social enterprises, supporting early-stage impact funds and launching a new loan product that incentivized small businesses to hire people facing employment barriers. While most of our work is as a capital provider, we also use our understanding of business and finance to advocate for public policy change, such as support for social finance and improvements to the employment and training system.
Our current focus is on reducing wealth inequality by creating business ownership opportunities for people who would otherwise not have them. We believe that in order to address the systemic issues with our economy, ownership needs to be more broadly held. We’re partnering with pension funds to invest in employee ownership, which we believe can be a compelling alternative to private equity transactions. We’re providing seed capital to start-ups that are leveling the playing field for small businesses. And we’re helping launch new funds that are dedicated to alternative forms of ownership. In addition, we recognize that the political environment dictates what is possible, so we’re unafraid of taking on public policy initiatives related to this work.
In the past year our work has gained significant momentum. Our small team partnered with a pension fund for the financing of Taylor Guitar’s sale to its 1,200 employees, which was the first ever pension fund-backed employee ownership transition. We’ve helped launch two campaigns that had a significant impact on charities and small businesses during the COVID-19 pandemic and launched a major report outlining the path to a more equal distribution of business ownership in Canada. We believe we’re on the cusp of leading real change, and are looking to grow our team in order to accelerate our impact. In our future we will make investments, seed new platforms, advocate policy and influence public opinion all geared toward re-balancing our economy and reducing inequality. We’re looking for people who, like us, have worked in the mainstream economy while thinking, in the back of their minds, that something isn’t quite right. If that’s you, SCP will provide an exciting opportunity to apply your skills to meaningful change.
What’s in it for you?
- A career with purpose: each project and investment we work on has an intentional link to broadening opportunity, which can be a powerful motivator especially in challenging times
- Meaningful influence: our small team works closely together and benefits from independent funding, which allows everyone to have a say in what we work on and how we operate
- Transaction experience: we benefit from the flexibility to invest across private equity, private debt and venture capital, which will provide beneficial exposure to an early-career financial professional
- Professional development: in addition to mentorship from SCP’s senior team, there will be regular opportunities to contribute to facets of a transaction typically reserved only for senior investment professionals
- Competitive compensation: SCP is looking to bring in the best and brightest and intends to offer an attractive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience.
How you will spend your days
- Analyling investment opportunities: the Senior Associate will lead financial and industry analysis on all transactions, but with a key focus on financial modelling
- Supporting deal structuring and negotiation: most transactions SCP works on require creative approaches to deal structures, which will provide the Senior Associate with an opportunity to take an entrepreneurial approach to finance
- Collaborating with investees: some early stage platforms we intend to invest in will require direct analytical and strategic support from the Senior Associate
- Assisting origination activities: our investment strategies in both employee ownership and venture capital will require rigorous origination, and the Senior Associate will help identify companies and support early outreach
- Researching relevant initiatives: SCP is looking to build an ecosystem around broadening access to business ownership, and the Senior Associate may support in researching like-minded organizations and leaders
Who we are looking for
- 2-5 years or more of relevant experience in a high performing setting
- Demonstrable passion for SCP mission
- Expert financial due diligence and modelling skills
- Strong communicator with presence
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Genuine intellectual curiosity
- An adaptable self-starter
Applications will be reviewed beginning on February 15 and on a rolling basis until filled. While we are flexible on start date, we have a preference to start as soon as possible.
Diverse candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. SCP is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in the workplace. We believe that a team of diverse experiences, abilities and perspectives contributes to more successful and impactful work. Therefore, we are happy to accommodate any reasonable individual needs throughout the application process. If you require any accommodation, please contact us.
During COVID-19 our team has been working remotely, and we anticipate continuing to do so for the foreseeable future. While this position will start in a remote work environment, our preference is for hiring a candidate who intends to join us in office when health conditions permit.
Source: Social Capital Partners