NEWC is located on Treaty 1 territory on original lands of Anishinaabeg, Cree, Oji-Cree, Dakota, and Dene peoples, and on the homeland of the Métis Nation. NEWC facilitates opportunities for women-identified people in healing, wellness and capacity building through diverse community-centred approaches.
We actively encourage applications from women-identified people, who may also identify as: First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples, and all other Indigenous peoples; members of groups that commonly experience discrimination due to race, color, ancestry or place of origin, religion and/or spiritual beliefs; persons with visible and/or invisible (physical and/or mental) disabilities; and members of the 2SLGBTQ+ community. Applicants are encouraged to self-declare in their cover letter.
Position: Community Support Facilitator
Community Support Facilitator is a member of the Community Support Team; and works collaboratively with all programs to provide support to program participants; conducts outreach to connect community to our services and works to cultivate relationships with other relevant organizations.
- Post-secondary degree or certificate in the social services field would be considered an asset (other combinations of relevant education and experience will be considered).
- Experience providing crisis support to women who may have problematic substance use historically or currently; experiencing or may have experienced trauma; homelessness; gender-based violence and sexual exploitation.
- Experience connecting with hard to reach populations.
- Experience working in a community based setting in the North End of Winnipeg and knowledge of inner city challenges is essential.
- Valid driver’s license, access to a safe vehicle and satisfactory Criminal Record and Child Abuse Register Check
Duties & Responsibilities
Community Outreach & Networking Responsibilities
- To build relationships and provide support to women from the community.
- To empower women to advocate for themselves and to advocate on their behalf when necessary.
- To assist women in accessing and connecting to community resources that will help meet their basic needs.
- Drive and or co-pilot the NEWC van with a co-worker to do community outreach in order to connect with women where they are at and connect them to our services and the services of other partnering organizations.
- To provide information, referral, and support to women as needed.
- To plan and co-facilitate other workshops and groups as required.
- To act as the front-line liaison between and participants and all programs.
- To welcome visitors to the Centre and continuously promote a community understanding of the Centre’s vision, mission, objectives, policies, programs, and services.
- Build relationships with participants and help them navigate to other programs and services at NEWC and or to other partnering agencies.
- Connect with programs regularly to ensure that information on supports and resources are current and up to date.
- To co-facilitate community presentations on NEWC programming as needed.
- To co-facilitate the weekly organizational orientation to new/ future participants and arrange in-take for interested participants.
- To keep apprised of community trends and share info with NEWC team.
Job Status: Full Time- Term until March 31, 2022 with possibility of extension
37.5 hours per week (8:30-4:30pm) Monday to Friday. Ability to work evenings until 8:30 pm
Salary Range: $18 – $24 per hour (dependent on qualifications and experience)
Closing Date: Monday, Feb 15, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Start Date: March 2021
Resumes and a cover letter may be submitted by email, mail, fax, or in person to:
Lisa Carriere, Community Support Manager
North End Women’s Centre
394 Selkirk Avenue, Winnipeg, MB R2W 2M2
Fax: 204-586-9476 Email: lisac at newcentre.org