The Inter-Council Network (ICN) is a coalition of the eight Provincial and Regional Councils for International Cooperation. These independent member-based Councils are committed to global social justice and social change, and represent over 350 diverse civil society organizations (CSOs) from across Canada. The ICN provides a national forum in which the Councils collaborate for improved effectiveness and identify common priorities for collective action. Rooted in communities across Canada, we are leaders in public engagement at a local and regional level, and are recognized for bringing regional knowledge and priorities to the national level.
As part of the ICN, the Manitoba Council for International Cooperation (MCIC) supports, connects, and amplifies the work of our members and partners, directly engaging and collaborating with Manitobans for global sustainability. As a coordinating structure, MCIC promotes public awareness of international issues, fosters member interaction, and administers funds for international development.
In 2019, MCIC, on behalf of the Inter-Council Network, launched the Fund for Innovation and Transformation/Fonds pour l’innovation et la transformation (FIT), to test innovative solutions to development challenges. Its purpose is to advance the effective use of and learn from innovative solutions that will improve the lives, equality and empowerment of women and girls, their families and communities in the Global South. More information can be found at www.fit-fit.ca.
MCIC is seeking a qualified candidate to fill the role of Program Officer Gender. We encourage candidates of diverse backgrounds to apply.
Reporting to the Director of Innovation, Fund for Innovation and Transformation (FIT) and working closely with the FIT team, the Program Officer, Gender will be responsible for managing projects by Canadian small and medium organizations (SMOs), focusing specifically on how gender initiatives and activities can be incorporated into testing environments, and providing gender expertise to the FIT team. This position will also work closely with the Program Manager, Communications Specialist and other Program Officers to take on a Public Engagement function, as seen through the lens of gender in FIT’s projects.
This is a full-time bilingual (French/English) position for a term of up to two and a half (2.5) years.
- Post-secondary degree in a related field such as international development, gender or women’s studies, project management and/or education
- Relevant work experience in the not-for-profit, public and/or private sector
- Knowledge of Canadian SMOs
- Demonstrated application of Canada’s Feminist International Assistance Policy and the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals as they relate to gender, women and girls
- Knowledge of gender issues in the Global South
- Strong knowledge of PSEA policy, code of conducts and implementation practices
- Knowledge of Results Based Management
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in both English & French
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to work cooperatively with others to set and achieve goals
- Proven ability to work productively in a team environment
- Good public speaking skills
- Cross-cultural and gender sensitivity
- Commitment to MCIC’s Development Principles
- Effective time management abilities
- Attention to detail
- Strategic, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Advanced online research skills
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced work environment
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- 2+ years’ experience in an international development context
- Knowledge of current issues and opportunities that relate to the objectives of FIT, specifically in innovation
- Understanding of a human rights-based approach to development
Key Job Responsibilities
- Support the planning and implementation of FIT projects, ensuring integration of a feminist approach
- Work with FIT Program Manager to develop and maintain gender policies, goals and guidelines for the FIT program
- Track and monitor project outcomes, particularly with regards to gender initiatives and activities
- Assess and prepare reports on gender outcomes of projects for dissemination to internal and external stakeholders
- Provide guidance/capacity building to the FIT team and to funded SMOs
- Share project learnings and knowledge online and through webinars and conferences
- Develop professional learning materials pertaining to gender for dissemination to innovators and other stakeholders
- Contribute to FIT communication resources
- Work with the Program Officer, Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning to develop data collection and analysis tools for gender equality program indicators and outcomes
- Responsible for a number of SMO project files, liaising with respective SMOs
- Work with the Program Manager, Communications Specialist and other Program Officers to develop documents, webinars, articles, social media posts and other materials to engage international development sector and the public in FITs work
- Prepare reports on FITs gender activities and results for internal and external stakeholders
- Represent MCIC and FIT at community activities and events as needed
Additional duties as required
- 37.5 hours per week
- May be required to work evenings, weekends or additional hours to accommodate activities such as meetings or representing FIT at public events
- Domestic and international travel may be required
Position: Full-time term
Salary: $48,000-$54,000 plus benefits
Application Deadline: February 22, 2021 or until position filled
Start Date: As soon as possible
Please submit a cover letter and resume by email to jobs at mcic.ca by February 22, 2021. Please indicate in the subject line the Job Title you are applying for in the subject line of the email.