Now hiring!* Fireweed Food Co-op: Assistant Farmers’ Market Coordinator
Full time (35hrs/week) @ $15/hr June 1st - September 30th
DUTIES: Working closely with the Market Coordinator, the responsibility of the Assistant Market Coordinator is to offer support in ensuring the smooth functioning of the farmers’ market, helping with volunteer coordination/training, upholding market policies and public health guidelines (including those related to COVID-19) and developing meaningful partnerships within the community. This job is a 4 month position at 35 hours per week and $15 per hour, and includes an 8 hour commitment every Wednesday from 1-9 pm at 725 Kylemore Ave. Working hours can be flexible (apart from Wednesdays), and there is the option to work from our workspace or from home.
Note: This job description is a guide, rather than a restrictive or exhaustive list of responsibilities. If hours/balance of work varies between areas, adaptations can be made at the discretion of the Market Coordinator, through discussion with the Projects Coordinator.
Volunteer Management (20%)
- Recruit, schedule and coordinate volunteers
- Train new volunteers on volunteer duties and COVID-19 policies
- Regularly check communication platforms and respond to interested volunteer inquiries
Marketing & Communications (30%)
- Work with the board and staff to develop and implement a robust marketing strategy and ensure regular social media posts
- Develop appropriate signage for the market as needed
- Design graphics and posters as needed and as skills allow
- Respond to market inquiries in a timely manner
- Assist in the implementation of social events and community programming at the market
Entertainment / Community Engagement (20%)
- Working with the Busker Coordinator, schedule, promote and assist buskers on a weekly basis
- Work with community partner to provide space for arts and craft programming at the market
- Assist in the implementation of social events and other community programming at the market, when possible
Farmers’ Market preparation (20%)
- Help set-up the necessary tents, tables and signage for the market and ensure a clean and safe environment during the market that adheres to COVID-19 requirements
- Be available to respond to vendor, volunteer and customer needs during the market
- Help ensure that vendors and the market comply with farmers’ market guidelines and
- COVID-19 health & safety regulations
Other Duties (10%)
- May include new project/activity development, collaborations with other organizations, grant writing, etc. as time allows and depending on your interest
- We want you to have fun!
Required/preferred skills and experience:
- Must be between the ages of 15 and 29
- Customer service experience required
- Strong communication skills and ability to communicate clearly and effectively with people from various backgrounds
- Ability to multi-task & remain organized
- Familiar with social media platforms or a willingness to learn
- Familiarity with G Suite an asset (Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Drive)
- Graphic Design experience an asset
- Knowledge of, and passion for local food systems
- Have a working knowledge of farmers’ market regulations or willingness to learn
- Ability to lift 50 lbs an asset
- Living in the South Osborne area or having knowledge of the neighbourhood is considered an asset
To apply, please send your resume and a detailed cover letter to email@example.com
before May 14th.
*Please note: this position (and its final hourly wage) is conditional upon confirmation of funding. Do not hesitate to ask us more about this prior to submitting your application.